Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AJHCaterham
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BT home hub five, no broadband connection, flashing orange power light

Good morning all,

In summary: BT HomeHub 5, BT infinity 2, lost broadband connection 2 days ago - left with orange flashing light - useless support from BT help desk

I have had my home hub 5 set up in July, when I upgraded to the BT infinity 2 package, and it has been working fine, when all of a suddern yesterday the town experienced a power cut at 6:26 in the morning, the power was restored by the electricity company within 2 to 3 minutes but since then my BT hub is just displaying a orange flashing light and a red flashing broadband symbol.

I tried restarting the hub, I even tried to factory reset by pushing the pin in the little hole at the back until the colours went green, and waited and waited and waited.

I then decided to bite the bullet and to call BT helpdesk. And that's where the drama really started!

Over the next four hours, yes really four hours, I carried out all the tests that BT suggested, you know things like pressing the restart, putting a pin in the hole at the back to do a factory reset it, disconnecting the power from the home hub and waiting 10 minutes, interspersed multiple times with being put on hold by the BT helpdesk employee (whilst for 10 to 15 minutes each time he ran some tests... Which she couldn't all wouldn't tell me what the test before), all with no success.

I should say that I began to lose confidence when after nearly 2 hours the BT helpdesk person asked me about the filters that I had connected to my equipment... when I pointed out to him that I have BT infinity 2 package and the openreach faceplate with dual holes, that don't require filters, the chap disbelievingly kept asserting that 'you must have filters', 'you have to have filters', 'you must have filters'! Before again putting me on hold to run some more tests, before coming back again to say 'have I removed the faceplate', 'have I change the wiring', and then ( wait for this ...) have I experienced any flooding in the house.

I assured him that at 6:26 on Monday morning when I was working in my study on my Mac using the BT broadband Internet there were no floods at all!

Only then to be put on hold again so that he could run some more tests.

When we got to 1030 - and I've been on the phone for four hours - I asked him to explain to me what his diagnostic tests have revealed so far and where we were in terms of determining what the problems were and a plan for resolution.

He's only suggestion was that I had to wait 48 hours for them to monitor the line!

I asked what they would be monitoring given there is no Internet connection, there would be no data transferred up or down the line. But he was insistent that nothing could be done for 48 hours.

The conversation ended.

I tried to recall what with my contractual obligation is to BT and how soon would I be able to leave this unbelievably poor non-customer centric company called BT

I called again and booked a BT engineer (scheduled to visit now on Wednesday), so the saga continues!

Why write this monolith? Sometimes as a customer with a problem you have to reach out to a helpdesk - and perhaps you naïvely think everything will be fine, efficient, courteous, diagnostic and resolution focused. And then again you get the BT experience. As strange as it may sound some comfort can be drawn from sharing this experience, from knowing that you're not alone in battling with the inept and inefficient BT customer helpdesk. I do hope others have more luck than I, indeed I would never have stumbled across this community forum had I not encountered such extremely poor experiences with BT yesterday. I've read of others experiences, similarly poor and unproductive, and strangely enough I do draw some comfort that it's not just me battling against BT.
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT home hub five, no broadband connection, flashing orange power light

What exchange are you on?

Have you checked the BT Service Status Page?

http://www.bt.com/help/servicestatus

0 Ratings
AJHCaterham
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Exchange is: Caterham 01883

Helpdesk said: 'no problems at exchange'

Have checked 'service status': 'no problems'
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

I appreciate that you have the MK3 socket with built in filter but did you try removing the bottom half of master and connecting your router with a filter to see if that works - eliminates a problem with the MK3 and also your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

The MK3 is very easily damaged by storms or electrical surges. You may need to totally remove the whole of the front section to reveal the original BT Test socket behind.

0 Ratings
AJHCaterham
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Help desk told me that was not required
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

@AJHCaterham wrote:
Help desk told me that was not required

If you get a visit, and it works at the test socket, you will be charged.

A power surge could have easily damaged the NTE.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

that is up to you but using test socket would confirm if problem is MK3 or hopefully outside your property and less likely to generate a charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AJHCaterham
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

I asked BT helpdesk specifically the question about potential damage as a result of the power cut and he told me that his tests show that this isn't the likely solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

@AJHCaterham wrote:
I askedBThelpdesk specifically the question about potential damage as a result of the power cut and he told me that his tests show that this isn't the likely solution

There is no way that they can test that remotely.

The line test only proves the connection as far as the test socket. If that did not show a fault, then that is why they said that.

Can you get dial-tone on the bottom section of the MK3?

0 Ratings