cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT in denial?

Hi All.

We live in a village of round 800 people. a large percentage have broadband through BT, and overall its been reliable over the past 12 months. We are aware Covid has placed extra strain on the network. but recently i had an issue with Connectivity being really low. and dropping out. and on asking when safely distanced from people. theyve all been having really bad speeds recently. The Wholesale speed tester is showing most in the area down from a 40mb average to 7 or 8 or lower... but wierdly upload speeds of 752mb! im guessing the tester is up the swanee again. 

But when logging a broadband fault (despite the advanced tester showing all red. well below the guarantee ) it just says... everything's fine no fault found. our primary school is struggling to hold zoom classes as its almost painful. 
So why are BT denying there is an issue, most likely at the exchange. when many many people are reporting unusable broadband? 

Below is an example of the speed tester upload result, many are getting. 
UPLOAD
Mbps
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT in denial?

Summary of Performance Test
Timestamp
Saturday 27 June 2020 | 12:44:14
Ping
35 Ms
Download
26.98 Mbps
Upload
752.47 Mbps
Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 26.98 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 - 74 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 74 Mbps
26.98 Mbps

74 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 752.47 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps
752.47 Mbps

20 Mpbs
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

are you using wifi or ethernet when doing btspeedtester - should be ethernet

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

taken time to reply as have been stuck on 1.48mb... absolutely useless. slghtly better today but the village on the whole all struggling.

Summary of Performance Test
Timestamp
Monday 29 June 2020 | 10:16:59
Ping
40 Ms
Download
17.97 Mbps
Upload
3.90 Mbps
Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 17.97 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 3.90 Mbps

Summary Advanced Test

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

DSL uptime:8 days,09 Hours39 Mins30 Secs

Data rate:19.999 Mbps / 79.997 Mbps

Maximum data rate:24.526 Mbps / 82.038 Mbps

Noise margin:15.4 / 3.2

Line attenuation:8.8 / 12.4

Signal attenuation:8.8 / 13.9

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:8.7 GB Uploaded / 211.8 GB Downloaded

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

so your connection speed is max 80/20 for fibre 2 but actual download is low.  was btspeedtester down using ethernet connection?

which exchange and cab are you on?

did you try quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Still people reporting our issue in the village..... today particularly fantastic..

ummary of Performance Test
Timestamp
Wednesday 15 July 2020 | 13:49:28
Ping
219 Ms
Download
5.14 Mbps
Upload
0 Mbps
Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 5.14 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 - 74.1 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 74.1 Mbps
5.14 Mbps

74.1 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 0 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps
0 Mbps

Happens any time there is slightly adverse weather / wind.  in fact taken me 10 minutes to get this to post. 
E
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

were you using an ethernet connection direct from hub to pc - no powerline adapter?

did you check line for noise?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

yup initially via laptop in ethernet port. after 2 days stable again, now down to 3mb again. asked the neigbhours and yup all slow and practically unseable. Im supposed to be working nightshift from home, but again BT have let me down. and having to make arrangments as this joke of  a system just cant be trusted. Seems a large number of userscompalining gets nowhere with BT. they need to go check the exchange. after all we were all promised minimum speeds (40mb in my case) and are very very rarely attaining them... i do know at least 3 people have started contacting media to come visit an see it. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Interesting from your hub stats you have downloaded 211gb in 8days which is some going with such a low download speed

which exchange and cab are you on?

can you not get other BT customers in the village who have similar problems to post here which would help hilghlight your problem

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Well had a call supposedly from BT indian call centre.... 
"we can see an error message from your router to the excahnge"

Now ive had a number of calls from Thieving Indian call centres recently, and this chap wouldnt give his name, or department. He then asked me to look in event viewer, wouldnt tell me exactly what event he was "seeing" then asked me to allow remote acess. 
I refused, he then got really loud and hung up. . As he still would not give name or department, Sorry but if it was a genuine BT call, they need a system to allow people to identify them. 
So fed up of BT right at the moment. 
But yes i have asked the others 
(the 211gb by the way, took a whole day and was the preorder of FS2020 from microsoft) 
It's not bad all the time. I've stated it was stable for a couple of days, then we get bad weather and it all goes to hell again, 
Ive no way of knowing which cab im in but it is Cogenhoe exchange in Northants.

0 Ratings