cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT infinity 2 lost speed from plugging in house phone? Possible ip profile reset?

Go to solution

Hi! after 2 1/2 months after having infinity 2 installed i've started running into issues again regarding IP profile! From August 9th till today (OCT 20th) I had speeds of exactly 76.41 download and 19.61 upload! which is great! but my mum plugged in the house phone and I noticed that the router reset and last time that happened on ADSL 2 my speeds went down! When she was done with the phone I did a speed test (direct connect via ethernet) and my speeds went form 76 to 65, which I know isn't ALOT but to lose 11mbps for plugging in the house phone for less then 5 mins is pretty stupid. I unplugged the house phone but still the same speeds! When I orignally did a a speed test via your speedtest my ip profile was 79.68 and now its 68.57....  Also on BT hub manager my data rate says 74.00 mbps when it was 80.00! which it should be because my maximum data rate is 95000 (95mbps) I know it says 20 minutes uptime but I just reset it after 6 days to see if it will help and nothing πŸ˜• Possible for ip profile reset as this fixed my issue last time! thanks! also an image showing old speeds for comparison!Capture.PNGfds.PNGgfd.PNG*** old speeds for comparison**** before issue

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT infinity 2 lost speed from plugging in house phone? Possible ip profile reset?

Go to solution

I would like to also mention that my noise margin has always been that since i've had infinity! I've already done a quite line test and there is no noise at all

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Re: BT infinity 2 lost speed from plugging in house phone? Possible ip profile reset?

Go to solution

Check that you have microfilters in the correct place.

Why do I need microfilters and where do they go?

Thiis also applies to BT Infinity.

Also see

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

The IPProfile on VDSL connections cannot be reset by ISP's Openreach will not allow them to remotely reset DLM.

The only way to get a DLM reset is to have an engineer out (which could cost you if it turns out the problem is within your home) to repair a fault. As a drop of 11Mb on your connection will not have taken you below the minimum guaranteed then you will have to wait for DLM to reset itself which is should do if the line is stable.

Connecting a home phone should not cause your speed to drop, it could be faulty internal wiring or a dodgy filter.

Try connecting directly to the test socket with a new filter. DLM can take a couple of weeks to relent.

0 Ratings
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

She plugged it to an extension socket without a microfilter, I should said that! which caused the router to reset, so I unplugged it and speeds was worse! and hub is already in the test socket/main socket, also tried without faceplate and still the same!

Another weird thing, my hub always reset's its self every 5-6 days or so? πŸ˜•

0 Ratings
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I contacted BT online chat today and one of them told me they reset my DLM and to restart my hub in 4-5 hours, 7 hours later I restart it and no change at all so no surprise... Spoke to another and they said they "refreshed" my line which doesn't make any sense and to monitor it for 2 days! so lets hope! but not expecting any change to be honest πŸ˜•

0 Ratings
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Update: MY speeds have gone down even more, below the minimum gurrerenteed which is 64 and now im getting 59.... 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@ethankeating00 wrote:

I contacted BT online chat today and one of them told me they reset my DLM and to restart my hub in 4-5 hours, 7 hours later I restart it and no change at all so no surprise... Spoke to another and they said they "refreshed" my line which doesn't make any sense and to monitor it for 2 days! so lets hope! but not expecting any change to be honest πŸ˜•

Both the DLM reset and line refresh are complete and utter BS! They can do neither with a VDSL line.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@ethankeating00 wrote:

Update: MY speeds have gone down even more, below the minimum gurrerenteed which is 64 and now im getting 59.... 

If you are below your guaranteeed speed you can request an engineer.

0 Ratings
ethankeating00
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Capture.PNGI knew they was... Everytime I speak with BT's online chat they always are never helpful! Watch this person say "in process now" and it won't do anything at all -_-

0 Ratings