cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joro29
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT infinity dropping out

Hi. I have been having problems with my internet speed continually dropping out. This came to light when we bought a new smart TV and found it was continually disconnecting from the internet. Often it says its connected to the network but not the internet. I have had the TV engineer check it and also had openreach check my phone lines. They disconnected all unused lines and sockets and the speed increased from an average of about 38 to 60-80. Great! However the TV has continued to disconnect and I have been monitoring the speed. At times it drops to 1 or 2 mbps. This is why the smart TV is disconnecting....  I have tried to see if this is due to other appliances in the house starting up but it seems this may not be connected. Last night the speed dropped off dozens of times. 

I have a BT hub 5 and live within 50 yards of the exchange to a small distance of copper cable. I am at a loss as to what to try next. The engineer said I could phone support again and maybe have a new line installed but I'm not convinced this is the issue. Also I was unimpressed by the support with conflicting messages and have a train of emails showing that.

I did have a TP link router connected before all this started and this seemed to hold the connection better. However I cannot get it to reconnect (lack of knowledge in the set up being the issue!). 

Please can anyone offer any suggestions?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT infinity dropping out

Welcome to this user forum.

Which TP Link router did you have connected, as it should be possible to help with it?

Is it possible to connect your TV using an Ethernet cable or broadband extenders, instead of wireless?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements

0 Ratings
joro29
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

hi I have tried the quiet line test and that is fine. 

I could connect the TV but not easily as running a cable would be difficult. However we know realise just how often the internet speed drops off for ipads, sky etc. 

The tp-link is N600

thanks

0 Ratings
joro29
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

I could connect the TV but not easily as running a cable would be difficult. However we know realise just how often the internet speed drops off for ipads, sky etc. 

The tp-link is N600

thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@joro29 wrote:

The tp-link is N600

thanks

That is just a wireless router so it would not work on fibre unless you have a white Openreach modem. Is that what you were using before you were given the HH5?

You can use broadband extenders to connect the TV.

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

with fibre distance from exchange is immaterial unless you were EO and noware conencted to a cabinet just outside the exchange

have you split the networks on the  hh5?

have you selected channels manually instead of auto?

have you tried changing wireles mode

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
joro29
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

no it was not connected by a white open reach modem but it worked very well. The HH5 was connected first and then replaced by the TP link, now back to the HH5. I can try the extender - would this connect via the LAN in the TV? Sorry not very tech savvy...
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 14

Yes connect to the TV's LAN socket.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@joro29 wrote:

The tp-link is N600

thanks

That is just a wireless router so it would not work on fibre unless you have a white Openreach modem. Is that what you were using before you were given the HH5?

You can use broadband extenders to connect the TV.

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

You sure about that @Keith_Beddoe?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/TD-W9980.html

0 Ratings
joro29
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Hi thanks for this. I will try the extender - do I go for the 600 or 1000? Big price difference. 

I have managed to set up the 5mgz line and will monitor that.

0 Ratings