Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT infinity installation

Go to solution
Hi guys just ordered BT infinity 2. Basically master socket is next to the front door my current main room where the modem/router is located is two floors above the front door. I don't want to have the router. Next to the front door I want to know what you think my possibilities are.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Annie_UK
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT infinity installation

Go to solution

They will swap the master socket with your extension so you have the modem & router where you want Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

The OR engineer can change the phone socket upstairs (I am assuming that you have one up there where your modem is attached too) to become the master socket. ( subject to testing the internal wiring off course).

0 Ratings
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
O cool yes that's right.

So the current master socket will just become an extension. Upstairs will be the master socket. Was expecting you guys to say need to feed a 3 cat 5 cable outside then back in.
0 Ratings
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
It's a newly built house so I assume the wiring will be good.
0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

Yes the current master socket would just become the extension.

If it makes you happy I can also advise running external grade CAT5e from your hall outside up the wall and then back in to a room off your choice, if you want to make the OR engineers life that much easier   Smiley Very Happy .

Hope your install goes well and you enjoy the speed that Infinity brings .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Well nige that would make it easier. Is that the easy option? Will he have all Of the equipment at no extra cost ?
0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

The OR engineer would be happy as he or she would only need to install the VDSL next to the master socket in the hall. 

He or she would not run external cable, that would be down to you, as I said in my last post "it would make the OR engineers life easier" I did not mean he would do it,  hence the smiley face.

Of course if you had the time to install network cable round your house then you could place the HH3 into any room, I think all new builds should have that done anyway in this age off fast Internet.

Still I hope all goes well for you.    

Sorry if I lead you to believe Bt would do something they will not.

0 Ratings
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

The master socket and extension swap sounds less messy?

0 Ratings
Annie_UK
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Not messy they replace the fronts of the boxes and swap a few wire inside the box, the wiring between boxes stay the same Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Ratings