cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 1 of 37

BT infinity - packet loss/server connection issues particularly when playing Overwatch

Hi,

I'm on BT infinity 2 (HomeHub 5A) and am under the impression that my connection isn't exactly rock solid when gaming despite my ping being decent (17-35ms). This is contrasted to my Virgin connection elsewhere which I've never had a problem with. Frequently when playing Overwatch I will receive the packet loss symbol, and almost constantly I have the lightning bolt symbol (which indicates that the server is extrapolating) accompanied by visible rubberbanding. Every now and then I will also get a spike in latency (and things will halt to a standstill). I've replicated the issues with other PCs and do believe it an issue with my connection/wiring/router/routing. 

I ran the BT troubleshooter to check for a broadband fault and it concurred with me that there was one, continuing on to say that it had been fixed. I noticed no change in broadband behaviour and the issue is just as prevalent. I believe the reference was: **Edited** (though this might be incorrect). I've also done the line noise test on the landline and not noticed any noise.

My household has a lot of devices and I've read people's posts noting similar issues who've had success with a new router and modem. I've tried all the available BT troubleshooters to no avail, restarted the hub, set up port forwarding etc etc.

Switching to Virgin does seem rather attractive I must admit (if only for the guarantee of consistent thrice as fast for a tenner less broadband once it's up and running at least) though I'd rather not if it can save me the hassle.

How should I proceed with troubleshooting? Is there anything that can be done? Would you recommend a new router/modem or am I wasting my money and time?

Regards

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: BT infinity - packet loss/server connection issues particularly when playing Overwatch

Please post a tracert to bbc.co.uk
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

Re: BT infinity - packet loss/server connection issues particularly when playing Overwatch

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you have tried connecting to the master socket test socket and your problem is still there it would indicate that if there is a line fault it is not with your side of the master socket and you would not be liable for an engineer call out fee.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity
0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Tracert.png

Availability.png

BT helpdesk.png

Test.png

BT 2.png

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Also in regards to the test socket I unscrewed it, couldn't see a socket but did see lots of wiring. I seemed to be looking at the internals of the socket itself so promptly screwed it back in. If I've missed something do say, here's an image of my socket:

image1 (1).JPG

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 37

Once the lower section of the socket is removed the test socket is on the right. Any wiring connected to the fron plate is for your extension sockets.

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Okay, found it, stupid question but I assume I'm supposed to plug the top wire (which connects to the router) into the test socket rather than the landline?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

You need to plug a microfilter into the test socket, similar to the picture on this link. Ignore top part of NTE.

Infinity - test socket connections

jonny321321
Contributor
Message 9 of 37

So I plugged a DSL filter into the test socket, and the phone wire and broadband into the filter.

What it says on the DSL filter:
EXCELSUS X BLOCKER
Z-420UK-AP

The router just flashes red. I also have a dial tone on the phone. Have I used the wrong filter or is it buggered?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Faulty filter, or socket wired up wrong.

Are there any other sockets, and are any of them filtered ones? Is there dial tone on any of them?

Is there any wiring on the back of the section you removed, like this Extension wiring connection point

0 Ratings