cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJAY
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT infinity slowed down due to all the telephone extension in multiple rooms? Advice needed.

Hi All

I am very new to this forum and would like some advice how to tackle this problem. Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Let me describe what’s happening.

I got BT infinity 2, I am getting about 29Mbs.

I called BT requesting an Engineer as I am paying for Infinity 2 but performance is less than Infinity 1.

Engineer arrives, does some tests.

He mentions that there are two set of copper wires going to the road cabinet from my house.

One is use for my current telephone / Internet .

The other one is an old fax line, which I had disconnected.

I have two sockets on the wall.

He says the unused copper(old fax line) is giving a better quality signal to the cabinet. He then goes to swap them over at the cabinet, so that I get my telephone line to the OLD fax wall socket . After the Swap, the OLD FAX line wall socket get activated and the HUB and main phone connects to it now.

The internet starts up again. I ran an online speed tester, and achieved about 68MBs. Which I was very happy.

The Engineer goes away.

I noticed that all telephone sockets( FROM OTHER ROOMS ) apart from the now main socket(OLD FAX SOCKET) are not working. I am presuming this must be due to the fact my telephone line is associated with the old FAX copper wiring, and this line had NO extension to anywhere in the building.

I manage to call the Engineer.

He kindly turns up again, and I show him the issue.

He now swaps the home telephone line back to the original wall socket from the FAX line wall socket. I presume this must be due to the fact all the socket extensions in building are linked to wiring to wall socket.

He also did some work on these small white boxes near my front door, I am guessing this would be to link the good copper wire (OLD FAX line ) to the original wall sockets( one with all the extension around the building)

Once he goes away I do another test and get about 34Mbs now. A little improvement from the original 29 MBs, but nowhere good as the 68MBs I achieved.

Can various extensions for telephone to other rooms effect BT infinity’s speed, even though the HUB is connected directly to the main wall socket. It seems that when the old fax line wall socket was used I almost got 100% speed.

Maybe I can somehow get my line to connect to the OLD FAX wall socket as was getting about 68MBs and then use cordless telephones.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT infinity slowed down due to all the telephone extension in multiple rooms? Advice needed.

Did engineer replace the master socket?

Can you connect to the test socket with a filter which should eliminate your internal wiring from causing a problem and check connection speed again. Also check none of your extension sockets has a dial tone. If there is a dial tone at an extension now then there star wiring and cause of the problem 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DJAY
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT infinity slowed down due to all the telephone extension in multiple rooms? Advice needed.

No the master socket was not replaced. I am presuming you mean the socket i connect the HUB to. Please see the attached image. The socket on the left side was my old fax line, the socket on the righ side is my telephone line. But I think the right side socket is an extention.  Please see the 2nd picture below. As you can the wall socket has an RJ45 cable connection as well, this lead connects to the wall socket box below(1st image). The last image(3rd image) is the box above my front door. Please also note, the propery has got independent security line as well.

The Enginner basically connected my outside line to the internal OLD fax copper line. Which i now regret telling him that i had no connections anywhere else in the house. Therefore then swapped the wall socket back to how they look orginally as shown in the first image, and did somthing to the boxes above my door.

I am thinking if some how i could adjust the boxes above the door and swap the face plates of the wall sockets, i should get an improved line.

What is the test socket?

Thanks

Dj

20160617_200912.jpg

20160617_201748.jpg20160617_201043.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The test socket for nte5 is shown here. test socket.jpg

The test socket for SSFP is own by black arrow. test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DJAY
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Fistly it seems that this wall socket( as shown in the pic) besid the old fax line is extention .

I have removed the cover , placed a filter with HUB connected and i get a tone on all phones.

How do I get my line onto the old FAX copper socket, as this solved my problem, till i open by mouth.?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Is there any wiring connected to the bottom faceplate which you have just detached?

0 Ratings
DJAY
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Yes there is wiring.

0 Ratings
DJAY
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

This is what i see. 

This socket was active for short time before i complained that the extentions were not active. 

Spoiler

openbt.jpg 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DJAY
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

As my speed issue is due to the STAR setup of my extensions, how would i remove all my extension leaving only main wall socket active?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

In a nutshell disconnect all wiring except for the 2 external wires and connect those to terminals A & B in the master socket you wish to use via whatever other junction boxes are required.

0 Ratings