Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamie8419
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT infinity very slow download speed at night

Go to solution
Hi I've been having awful download speed since just before Christmas say 15th of December. I pay for the 72Mb down & 19Mb upload. I'm getting between 5Mb-19Mb download at the times of 4:00pm-3:00am. Upload speed goes down to 12Mb then bounces bk up to 19Mb like 5 mins later. Turned all wifi devices off then used Ethernet from my Hub to my laptop & same speeds happen. Done like 30 Bt wholesale speedtest then further diagnostics so they receive the speed test on the server. All of the tests are awful speeds of I test between those times of 4pm & 3am. Openreach came out said it sounds like REIN but BT then told me they checked that & for a hot VLAN and all is good on their side. I'm at a loss. Could anyone advise me with some help? PS Also I've had every possible electrical device turned off that I think would cause like interference but nothing goes on between those times that isn't on any other time in the day. Regards Jamie8419
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT infinity very slow download speed at night

Go to solution

Post a screenshot of a Further Diagnostics speed test and state your exchange and we'll get a mod to look into it for you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

can you post diagnostic results with ethernet cable when speed appears ok probably off peak then when it is bad probably peak to illustrate your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jamie8419
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

BTW_Performance_Test_-_2018-01-19_18.21.41.png

0 Ratings
Jamie8419
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Also I'm at the Alexandria OLO WSALE.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @Jamie8419 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your connection.

I can see there is a congestion issue reported with a SVLAN on the Alexandria exchange which is likely the reason why your connection is slow during peak times.  There's a fix date for new infrastructure to be added in March but we may be able to get your connection moved to an different SVLAN if you send in your details on the 'click here to contact the mods' link. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Jamie8419
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks Neil I've got more from you than I did from BT customer care within a few hours than they told me within 1 month of complaints and equities from myself., They told me there was no problem with the VLAN. Also tried to scare me off asking for an engineer as the problem happens at night and he could only send a engineer out during day hours so I would have to pay a charge when they don't find a problem on the line. I will follow your link and see if there is a possibility of having my it moved. Kind regards Jamie.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @Jamie8419 I called earlier on your mobile and landline sorry I could not reach you.

I have checked and your SVLAN is not the one listed with the issue on the Exchange that Neil thought maybe affecting your connection. As @imjolly has requested above please can you complete a speed test when the connection is working OK off peak and afterwards perform another test to log the poor connection results.

The report on the status of the SVLAN's at your Exchange will be updated again on Wednesday and I will check to ensure if congestion is reported on your SVLAN again then but please complete the 2 speed tests requested above to help me progress the fault with your connection and I will update you again on Wednesday.

cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Jamie8419
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks John I will do. Sorry I'm unable to receive any calls and I finish work late in the evening so was unable to take any calls I had missed today. I will be free on Friday and I believe there is another engineer scheduled to come out on the 26th. Regards Jamie.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

If @JohnC2 confirms congestion being the issue then cancel the engineer.

Engineers cannot rectify congestion issues.

0 Ratings