cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT landline/broadband - not as easy as I'd hoped...

Hi, I've just moved house and requested a BT landline & Infinity Broadband package. It was scheduled for activation on 15May but on 16May, when it hadn't happened, and no router had turned up, I phoned to find out what had gone wrong. I was told that the order had got stuck in their (BT's) systems, and would need to be cancelled (which takes 24 hours), and after that, a new order created (which takes 2 weeks).

There is currently an active landline at the property (although if I dial 150 it goes to Sky), so I was amazed that this could be such a problem for BT to resolve. When I viewed my original order on the BT site, they appeared to have even allocated me a phone number. But what's worrying me even more now, is that they have told me that I can have the landline in 2 weeks, but they will "review" the Broadband options after that. The replacement order they have raised for me is just for a landline, so far. I'm worried that they will say that they can't give me the fibre broadband that I originally ordered. Mobile data where I am is flaky, and we're not even near enough to any neighbours' wifi to plug the gap!

Can anyone with experience comment on this sort of scenario? And might they find that due to my particular location, and despite what the Broadband Checker says, I can't get the products I want?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT landline/broadband - not as easy as I'd hoped...

In some cases things don't quite go to plan when placing orders and they do need to get the phoneline on first.

Usually when they do this it's because of an issue with the BT systems that give a black result when checking what services are available for broadband - black basically meaning nothing is available.

Once the phone line is there and running it would normally kick the system in to gear after a couple of days being live and give the correct results for the broadband availability. If this isn't the case they would need to raise a case with their tech guys to get the right options manually added.

If they can't give you infinity for whatever reason they will offer you a copper service. If you don't want that then they would let you out of any contacts with the phone line without any charges ofcourse.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply - that's useful to know. There is already an active landline (apparently with Sky), but does it need to be given (back) to BT before they can work on it and figure out what broadband products should be available?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If the sky line is still active then BT will need to contact previous owner of line to tell them that BT is going to take over the line and you will have a delay until that is done

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thats strange then if the line is still working with sky.

Only thing I can think of causing issues in that case is if the old tenants have a placed a cease order on the line for a future date. If there was a pending cease no provider can place an order to activate the line until the cease has gone through. That wouldn't require just placing a landline only order though it would simply just need to wait until the cease has happened. Unless they have placed it for a brand new line to be installed to make the process quicker for you depending on what date the cease is for.

Have they told you an engineer is needed to attend? If so that might be what has happened.

Might be worth giving them a call to double check in to what is happening or ask a mod on here to take a look for you.
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, I'll follow that up, check the previous owner has told Sky she's leaving, etc. BT haven't said that an engineer needs to attend - yet. I'll get back in touch with BT tomorrow, or if a moderator on here was able to look into it a bit more I'd be happy to hear from them.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

You should check with BT to find out if the problem is that the previous tenant has not cancelled with sky and you need to wait while BT notify them that they are taking over the line. Should not need an engineer as line is working ok  any changes will be at exchange 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.