Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT master socket wiring

Hi,

Is it possible to slow down your internet speed by connecting the wires in the master socket to the wrong terminals?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT master socket wiring

@VishalM wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to slow down your internet speed by connecting the wires in the master socket to the wrong terminals?

Yes.

If you can get dial tone on your phone, then its most likely fine. You should not touch the incoming phone wiring.

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

0 Ratings
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Yes I am. I'm currently getting the full 76mbps download speed at 6ms ping however I'm having issues with online gaming despite these numbers. I don't know if the green cabinet is selecting speed>stability which is causing this issue. On day of activation speeds were 66mbps and 25ms ping but a few days after activation the speeds have gone up to 76mbps and ping down to 6ms but now online gaming is very slow and constant speed up lag. So I'm thinking it's because DLM has kicked in and chosen speed over stability.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Its possible that your line is getting errors on it, that will affect response time, as re-transmissions will occur which will affect the overall performance, and also cause DLM to reduce the connection speed.

Unfortunately BT removed the ability to look at transmission errors on all of the later home hubs, so only people with certain third party routers can see them.

BT can see them from their end by looking at the performance monitors for your circuit.

If you can hear noise on your phone line, then that is a good indication that something is wrong, so its worth checking that.