cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karmay25
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT nightmare

I have moved into new build Taylor Wimpey home which has been fitted with BT fibre cables and boxes and we have BT openreach box inside our cupboard. We have now been trying to have our broadband and phoneline installed since October now. We are still no further forward. BT have kept cancelling our order and reordering promising us everyday that they will have to cancel then we have to phone back to reorder after 24 hours to have an engineer come out. However this cycle never has an engineer coming out. We seriously do not know how to get this sorted and are at the end of our tether.

Anyways Friday 15th December openreach were at new houses just getting built installing their fibre boxes so I regailed him with the whole story. He came along to the house and straight away the openreach engineer said I can tell you exactly why your not getting your Bt services it is because your box has not been comissioned. So he tried all afternoon to phone BT and get this box up and running but he was also having a nightmare. This is shocking that your own engineers cannot get through to people who know what their doing.

Every phone call you are bounced from one team to another and all who have different opinions on what needs to be done and all who come to the same last resort of we need to cancel the order and phone back in 24 hours to reorder so we can get an engineer out. Then as soon as engineers spot our address the engineers cancel as they assume all the equipment is installed and is fine.

How many more months do you want this to go on for? And why is BT getting away with installing services that do not work? We have been told there are many on our street going through this so it seems the poor engineers are installing but the office end are not setting up these boxes from theirs.

We are at a loss now as how to get this resolved. Is there anyone who BT is accountable to, an ombudsman who can help us get a phone line and broadband activated?

Please can someone get us some answers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT nightmare

You need to keep phoning the FTTP team 0800 587 4787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Karmay25
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Have only been phoning this number. Passed around from department to department, promised everyday that someone will call back for no one to call back. Sick fed up. Terrible terrible service.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

This is only a custome to customer help forum.

I assume your installation looks like this?

FTTP installation

What lights are lit up on the unit, and are any of them flashing?

0 Ratings
Karmay25
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yeh thats exactly what the boxes are like. The PON light is flashing as is port 1 light. According to engineer the box needs comissioned but trying to get BT to do this is just not happening. I dont even fully understand what that means in all honesty but that was what an openreach engineer had said. But he wasnt there to sort our house so he couldnt spend more time trying. Thank you for any info.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 12

It sound like the serial number of the ONT wasn't submitted to BTWholesale when it was installed. Might be worth giving it to the FTTP team and asking them to submit it.

0 Ratings
Karmay25
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thank you, I will do that. Fingers crossed. Thanks again, will post an update on outcome.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

A big problem I’ve come across on FTTP New Builds is the Contractors installing the ONT’s are given a list of what ONT’s they need to put into specific Plot Numbers.

Contractors/Developers though, like most tradesmen have got this attitude of, ‘I know what I’m doing, I don’t need your instruction sheet’ and throw it away and then stick any old ONT in whatever Plot they want.

The Developer of course tells Openreach that way Plots 1, 2 and 3 are ready so Openreach will activate the ONT’s for those Plots. Problem is though the ONT’s that should be in Plots 1, 2 and 3 are actually in 9, 14 and 22 or possibly are still in their boxes waiting to be put into a Plot that hasn’t even been built yet!

The only way to resolve this is to have an Openreach Engineer come out to commission the ONT in your house to your line.
Karmay25
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Its a nightmare. No one seems to talk to each other in BT. Everyone passes the buck. Im hoping eventually they will arrange an engineer for us. But we are even now stuck in cycle of phonecalls. We are supposed to be getting a call back on Wednesday. But feeling jaded now so not optimistic.
0 Ratings
wee_corlett
Message 10 of 12

I am in the exact same position and share your thoughts regarding BT. I have been chasing for three weeks now - my modem was fitted at the start of December and still no real response or reason given for the delay.

Absolutely shocking service. 

0 Ratings