Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Otonel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT openreach FTTC FTTP packages

Go to solution

Hello. I just moved in to a new flat where I can get the latest fiber broadbadn from BT, and have started the order process, but it will take a week or so as where I live it's a new building and they are still sorting out some stuff.

Any of you guys have the latest fiber from BT? What packages (speed) I can get and at what prices?

Also I was just curious, when I will receive the router can I place it anywhere in the home, or does it have to be next to the Open Reach device that is located in my cabined? I am just asking as I would like to have a wired connection to my PC instead of using wireless.
I do have the phone femalte connector in most of my home sockets but not sure if this will help to set the hub where I want it. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT openreach FTTC FTTP packages

Go to solution

FTTC and FTTP are 2 entirely different. As you state there is already an Openreach ONT in the property I presume you have an FTTP product, by all means correct me if wrong.

If the developer has done the job correctly as outlined by Openreach then the cupboard that the ONT is in should have at least one ethernet port to connect to.

Here's the ideal.

2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png

0 Ratings
Otonel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I don't think I am that lucky. There are no RJ45 sockets. In the cupboard there is one RJ45 cable and a phone cable that comes out of the Open Reach box. Also in that cupboard there is one connection for the phone, which are present around the home (black sockets)IMG_5505.jpgIMG_5507.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

That looks like an RJ45 socket behind those cables, although its difficult to tell. It would be easy to see if the Ethernet plug fits.

If it is, then the other end must be somewhere.

If that is just a phone socket, then that is where the phone cable will plug into.

You may have to resort to using a couple of powerline connectors to connect the modem to the home hub.

0 Ratings
Otonel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

There is no RJ45 connector. The connector in the cupboard is similar to the one in the black picture. I might route a long ethernet cable from the cupboard to my room, which shouldn't bee too dificult. Thanks for the detailed info anyway.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Why don't you get onto the developer and ask? If you wish I can give you a link to the handbook they will have had from Openreach detailing the minimum they should do.

0 Ratings
Otonel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I am renting trough an agency, and the building is already fully finished now. Don't think they will change anything. Too much hassle.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

As you seem doubtful about what connections exist would it harm you to ask?

0 Ratings
Otonel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I already asked my agent something else related to the flat as I just moved in. Don't think she will be bothered to contact the contractor and ask if there are RJ45 connectors in my flat. But I don't think they are as I was looking at all the sockets and there looks to be only telephone ones. I am thinking seriouslly how to route the ethernet cable, which shouldn't be too dificult.

0 Ratings