I've switched back to BT today after spending the last year with TalkTalk.
When i was with BT in March 2020 I had a sync speed of 49500kbps down at a 3dB SNR profile, but when I moved to TalkTalk they only offered a 40Mbps or 80Mbps package, so the line was capped at 39999kbps at around 7.1dB.
When switching back to BT I was offered the choice of either Fibre Essential or for £1 more Fibre 1. The difference as I understand between the two packages is Essential is a WBC FTTC 40/10 product whilst Fibre 1 is a WBC FTTC 55/10 product. I therefore took the Fibre 1 package as I knew from previously my line would give closer to 50Mbps than 40Mbps.
When I was switched this morning I was expecting to see the download sync speed show higher than the 39999kbps cap from the TalkTalk product, however it's remained at that cap currently.
I'd expect the Max Downstream Rate to begin to increase as the SNR drops down, however if the Sync max is stuck at 39999kbps then will the SNR even try to start dropping down through DLM as the Max is already over the Sync rate?
Solved! Go to Solution.
You need to wait for G.INP to kick in and reduce your SNR to 3.0 and give you a speed boost. If it hasn't happened within 14 days post back here.
Being pedantic, its not G.Inp that reduces the margin to 3dB, it is just straightforward DLM. However, it is possible that DLM doesn't initiate the process of reducing the SNRm until G.Inp has kicked in first.
DSLStats shows that G.INP is already enabled downstream so presumably it's just a matter of waiting?
Background for asking is
* March 2020 - Moved from BT's 55/10 product to TalkTalk 40/10 product. However the connection sync showed as over 40Mbps for 3 days, after which I got a call from an engineer advising there was a fault on the line and they needed to switch my connection. After this I was then on the 39999kbps maximum sync speed (as expected initially).
So, I'm wondering if the change this time from TalkTalk's FTTC 40/10 product I may have been moved to BT's FTTC 40/10 product instead of the 55/10 package?
Must admit it does look rather like your port is still configured as 40/10. Have you spoken to customer services on 150 and queried it with them?
Ok so a couple of days later (and also reverting to the Smart Hub 2 to ensure network is fully 'compliant') and the speeds are still stuck at the 39999kbps cap of the WBC FTTC 40/10 service.
Now I'm back on a BT line if I check the DSL checker it shows the latest speedtest I did before my move from BT to TalkTalk. The line then was supporting 47Mbps down / 11Mbps upload
Will raise a billing support issue - unfortunately the fault reporting process refuses to acknowledge an issue with the line as the minimum speed achieved is above the handback threshold.
As per my post on Re: BT packages - Fibre Essentials vs Fibre 1 - BT Community
Fibre 1 service was connected on Monday 22nd March. After the switch I noticed that the max permitted speed was still capped at 39999kbps inline with the WBC FTTC 40/10 package I was on with my previous provider.
Have monitored over the last two days and the line speed is not rising above the 40Mbps cap even though there's plenty of range left on the line to stretch into the high 40Mbps range.
I only chose the Fibre 1 over the Fibre Essentials package when switching to BT as I knew the line would handle an over 40Mbps connection. My current phone line results from www.broadbroadchecker.btwholesale.com still shows the speedtest I achieved on BT immediately prior to my switch to another provider back in March 2020.
Please can someone look into the commissioning setup vs the agreed plan to ensure that the line is commissioned for the service being paid for.