cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT quoted broadband speeds.

I live in a rural area and finally I can access fibre broadband. However BT give expected speeds of 2mb- 4mb with an assured of 1mb. My standard broadband as 1mb to 2.5mb with assured of 1mb.

However on my current standard broadband package I get speeds of around 4mb. The dsl checker gives similar results as quoted by BT.

One reason for the difference may be that my landline numbers are being attributed to the wrong cabinet. My brothers farm is attributed to the same cabinet but my overhead lines head in the oppposite direction.

I do not want to upgrade to infinity if I am paying more money for the same speeds? Is there a way to check my lines (I have two numbers and two broadband accounts) to determine what speeds I will get?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT quoted broadband speeds.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Carry out the check on both your lines and once you have done that take a screen shot and delete your phone numbers and post the results.

brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

I think the issue is the difference between the estimate and the actual values. Current connection stats for my line are 

10:58:02, 07 Oct.(606959.010000) DSL noise margin: 17.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
10:58:02, 07 Oct.(606958.940000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 4992 Kbps downstream

Screenshot from 2017-10-11 19-04-47.pngThe estimate is lower than that achieved, so its a matter of trying to work out what would the actual results of the upgrade most likely be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

fibre is not available to you

FTTP on Demand is a business product and very expensive and on a long contract
0 Ratings
brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Just look at the adslmax figures.

Used to illustrate the inaccuracies of the estimated figures.

0 Ratings
johnb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Here are the adsl checker results - it is the same for both lines.DSL1.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@johnb99 wrote:

Here are the adsl checker results - it is the same for both lines.DSL1.jpg

personally there would be little benefit in changing to fibre 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@johnb99 from the checker results it may be a risk going for VDSL as you might not see much of an improvement based on the high rate of 4.2Mb on fibre.  

0 Ratings
johnb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi, I did move over to fibre but as expected I had a decrease in speed to an average of 1.8 mb. I have put up with this but  i was reminded of the issue as my brother who is on the same cabinet but further away so was getting low speeds than me is now getting an ADSL speed of 4.78mb. Here is the latest data for my line, very different than before.

adsl checker 1.jpg

Do you think BT would allow me to downgrade to ADSL and what does capacity expected mean for ADSL 2?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings