cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john025
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT repeatedly closes faults that have not been fixed.

We have been getting slower and slower broadband speeds, pay for between 50 - 70 Mbs, (BT say minimum speed for our line is 54.

When it was first connected we recieved 62, we recieve between 19 and 40, dependent on time of day.  I have reported the drop a number of times, each time an engineer has been sent.  They test the line and say there is no fault, and also there is no fault with our equipment or internal connections.

I have had differing reasons given from its a fault at the green box in the street, to its a fault with the fibre, to there is a note in the box saying there is a fault affecting a number of lines.

Each time i ask to be kept in the loop, this is ignored, the fault is closed (annoyingly it says we informed them it had been fixed, deffinately not true on us reporting the fix or indeed the fix being sorted).

It may not be a big issue in the scheme of things but i dont see why we should pay for a service we are not getting, and would like it resolved to be fixed and download at the reccomended speeds.  

I am getting fed up with both BT and Open reach over this issue, i was told by BT that i should change provider if i wasnt happy, whilst sound advice this doesnt sort the fault out does it?  

Any one got any advice on how i can get them to resolve and stop closing down the faults until it has been?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT repeatedly closes faults that have not been fixed.

from your post I am not sure whether problem you describe is your connection speed or download speed

can you post stats from hub  if hh6 then davanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

can you enter your phone number and post results  delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Sounds similar to what I'm seeing. Not had any engineers out but the faults I've reported keep getting closed. Diagnostics either say no fault found, or they find a fault then a ticket is submitted, and I the ticket gets closed either saying it's been fixed, or saying no fault was found. My connection speed is currently a quarter of my "minimum" speed and the line has been unstable since xmas.

Highlighted
john025
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ73644286

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

16-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

3 Days, 3 Hours 33 Minutes 56 Seconds

Data rate:

19.80 Mbps / 42.44 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

19967 / 42674

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 6.4 dB

Line attenuation:

16.3 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

13889 MB Uploaded / 21712 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-7XCG

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Channel 6

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-7XCG-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Channel 40

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

58:90:43:B9:B1:ED

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Screenshot (16).pngScreenshot (17).png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

so your actual download speed is ok based on your current connection speed  so it is the connection speed that is low compared to dslchecker results  what is worse though is your connection speed is currently just below attainable

are you using the test socket with a filter even if you currently have a filtered faceplate

if you use test socket can you repost your hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
Message 6 of 11

@imjollywrote:

so your actual download speed is ok based on your current connection speed  so it is the connection speed that is low compared to dslchecker results  what is worse though is your connection speed is currently just below attainable

are you using the test socket with a filter even if you currently have a filtered faceplate

if you use test socket can you repost your hub stats

I wouldn't get hung up on "attainable" speeds, they're rarely acheivable as the process to calc them is logrythmic ... as opposed to live packet data in loop loss and path margins. The dsl checker figures also result from percentile calculations, taking in both historical dslam data and differing effects and amounts of crosstalk within the box. If the margins are healthy ... so is the connection. The rest is down to the condition of the paths.
john025
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

There is no filter.

The socket on the wall has no test socket as such, if i remove the face plate it disconnects the wired connection for the broadband.

It has 2 connections, one for the phone line, and one for the broadband which is  hard wired with a 2 m cable, which then has a connector on it for the connecting ethernet cable to router, (Thats how open reach wired it in), it makes no difference on tests as the last 2 engineers (both in the in the last 2 weeks) have disconnected it and tested the socket no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

from your description you have the new NTE5C MK4  as shown here  https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

this also shows where the test socket is situated

john025
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for your patience, appreciate it.

So i did another test as you suggested in the socket.  Doesn't appear to be much difference in speed.Screenshot (18).png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

Can you post the hub stats again connected to the test socket.