cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryScotsMan
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT router constantly flashing orange

The wifi cuts out every hour-ish going into the flashing orange state on the bt home hub. This happens every day and I've reset the router multiple times. Usually, according to my dad, there's no problems but once I brought my pc and xbox, it has started playing up like this. I'm very confused as to what's causing it and if it is actually my devices causing the problem but I don't see how my devices can be causing this.

We have BT infinity I believe and the router is BTHub 6.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT router constantly flashing orange

@AngryScotsMan 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Noise on the line will cause the BT Home Hub lights to change and the connection to drop.

If the line is fine, then

Try the usual fixes for the home hub, in this order.

factory reset the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

AngryScotsMan
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried the phone line and there is a bit of noise on the line, though its not significant noise if that matters. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Any noise is significant and indicates a fault, it should be totally silent.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

How long did you listen to the quiet line test, as the noise may be intermittent?

It should really be quiet, without any crackling or noticeable hiss.

It may be best to listen when you get the disconnects, and the hub lights change

It would also be best if you connected the home hub to the test socket, just in case there is an issue with your internal wiring.

Can you connect things up as shown below, and leave it for a day, and see if you still get the disconnections?

infinity_test.jpg

AngryScotsMan
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

This is the one where the adsl filter is hooked up to as according to my dad, a BT engineer said that the box you sent a picture of doesn't work and that the one we currently have it hooked up to is the only one that works. I still took it apart to see if there was a test socket but there doesn't appear to be one. The noise still continues when the flashing orange state occurs on the hub. 

kenable-telephone-secondary-idc-punch-2-3a-phone-line-socket-with-back-box-008988.jpg

0 Ratings