cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 57

BT saying Fibre isn’t available at house I’m purchasing

Go to solution

good morning, 

I hope you can help. I am moving into a house on Monday (built around 15 years ago). I did all the basic searches on the address and all confirmed it had fibre broadband but when I went to transfer my account BT said it doesn’t have fibre to that property.  They suggested it’s maybe because the current occupier never upgraded to fibre and said maybe when I take over control of the line on 30th March it will allow me to upgrade.

using the BT wholesale dsl checker with the address it said it was connected to Lincoln exchange and is served by cabinet 25. It confirms FTTC is available.

I have now found out the actual telephone number of the property and when I put that into the DSL checker it says Lincoln exchange but makes no mention of any cabinet. As such it doesn’t mention fibre at all. 

is anyone able to assist. Does this mean that line is connected directly to the exchange? That doesn’t make much sense to me as Kitz says I’m 1.55km from the exchange and I live in the middle of a city. There are dozens of cabinets between me and the exchange. Also everyone else on the estate (there are 17 properties) has fibre. 

I work from home so really need to get to the bottom of this. It’s causing me a lot of stress so if anyone is able to help I would be really grateful. 

many thanks, Nick

0 Ratings
56 REPLIES 56
Message 2 of 57

Re: BT saying Fibre isn’t available at house I’m purchasing

Go to solution

if you used the existing phone number of the property and dslchecker result was an exchange name but no number then that exchange only and as such there is no FTTC available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 57

Go to solution

@nickshaw11 wrote:

They suggested it’s maybe because the current occupier never upgraded to fibre and said maybe when I take over control of the line on 30th March it will allow me to upgrade.

That is a very likely reason

using the BT wholesale dsl checker with the address it said it was connected to Lincoln exchange and is served by cabinet 25. It confirms FTTC is available.

I would be extremely surprised if you are on an EO line if the rest of the estate is connected to cab25.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 57

Go to solution

Can you post screenshots of both checker results please, one using address and the other the number. Edit address and number from screenshots before posting.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 57

Go to solution

Thank you all for your prompt responses. Here are the two searches

47BDB28E-6C67-42A5-8352-6F98A4B7E926.jpeg

213B7A3A-EDCD-426F-BD76-F3C123FE134D.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 57

Go to solution

if latter dslchecker results are using the current phone number for your new property then owners currently have broadband but adsl not fibre as dslchecker shows not available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 57

Go to solution

I suspect that is because they haven't upgraded to fibre rather than being an EO line.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 57

Go to solution

Hi imjolly. Yes that’s correct. She never upgraded (although not sure if ever given the option) so has adsl. 

does that mean when I take over the line I would be able to upgrade? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 57

Go to solution

I am starting to feel a little bit more positive with the responses you have all kindly sent. So just because it’s saying no FTTC using the exact number could simply be because she never upgraded to fibre rather than it not being available?

and as such BR are hopefully right in thinking that once I take over the line I would be able to upgrade?

many thanks, Nick

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 57

Go to solution

That would be my understanding.

0 Ratings