cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT smart hub 2 showing as Vodafone

Go to solution

I will preface this with a note, I am moving from BT to talktalk in a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure if maybe thats upset something?

This is a really bizarre situation and I cannot fathom what is going on. 

So I have a smarthub 2 and it is doing some weird things. I noticed very slow speeds on some devices (both on wifi and directly connected). Some were fine. On doing a speed test I noticed that the IP was Vodafone not BT. If I try to go to homehub login (192.168.1.254) it times out. If I put in the IP address I get from speetest (90.253.77.150) I get a vofafone router login page! 

Whats even weirder is I can simultaneously have one computer on vodafone and one on BT (getting great D/L speed) both directly plugged into the router. And the same for wifi, I can have a laptop connected to the wifi on vodafone and one on BT. 

Really done understand what is going on here. I have no contract nor ever had with Vodafone, no vodafone router or anything silly like that.  Just the standard smarthub 2 straight into phone line. 

Any help is appreciated

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT smart hub 2 showing as Vodafone

Go to solution

are you using powerline adapters?  do you know if your neighbours use powerline adapter in an adjoining wall?

odd things like this have happen before  and turned out to be caused by powerline adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT smart hub 2 showing as Vodafone

Go to solution

Hi IMjolly

Yes that was it! I had discounted that as a problem, as the powerline is only coming out of one port and connected to one computer, but it was computers on the other ports that were showing the problem. So somehow what must be happening is the powerline signal is using the router as a bypass. Anyhow, securing the powerline network has sorted the problem. Thanks very much!

0 Ratings