Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bodge
Message 1 of 18

BT smart hub and infinity

Go to solution
Hello, just got my new smart hub. However I have infinity package, and i can't seem to get it to connect. The red cable from the infinity box doesn't fit in the back of the smart hub. Any help appreciated!
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT smart hub and infinity

Go to solution

you no longer need the Openreach modem connect the smart hub directly in the socket the modem was connected too as shown in the leaflet supplied with the hub 

0 Ratings
Tiriana
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Really? I thought the modem was what gave us the faster speeds promised with Infinity 2. I will run speed test using my HH5 and OPenreach modem and then with Smart Hub and report back

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

You don't need the separate modem with the HH5 or smart hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

You can do away with the Openreach modem.

The Smart Hub won't connect to the Openreach Modem and the HH5 doesn't need to connect to the Openreach modem which was the purpose of bringing out the integrated modem/router in these units.

0 Ratings
Tiriana
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Okay, sorry to be sceptical (must be the current political environment). Connected everything up and tests show comparable speeds without the Openworld modem.  I now have two holes in the wall where the modem was fixed, but at least I now have a spare socket outlet!

Odd that BT actually installed the modem when i upgraded to infinity 2 with HH5 and a pity that the modem is not needed is not clear in the Smarthub user guide,

0 Ratings
Waggle
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
This is not a solution. The Smart Hub instructions are incomplete for those of us with Openreach modems. What do with the red-ended cable? How do we maintain our phone connection if we are to use that cable? I've tried both suggestions including plugging the red cable in port 4. Both yield a flashing purple light.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Its extremely simple. You don't need the modem. Remove the cable from the modem that goes into the phone socket and plug it into the Broadband/DSL socket on the HUB6. The red cable is not required.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Waggle
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks.

It a pity the instructions that come with the Smart Hub do not say this and how to maintain my phone line.
0 Ratings