Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT speed test results unbelievable

Go to solution

Can anyone cast light on some unbelievable speed test results from BT (https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/details)?

I have FTTC and a regular download speed of around 35 Mbps and upload around 8 Mbps.  That's what my contract says and BT delivers.  In the past Openreach engineers have said that's the maximum achievable.  So far no problem.

Yet when I use the above BT site it consistently tells me my download speed is around 150 Mbps.  It's accurate on the upload speed around 8Mbps.

Is something weird happening on my line or is the BT Wholesale speed checker really exaggerating download speeds by five times what's achievable?

Of course 150Mbps would be very welcome but it can't be true, can it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT speed test results unbelievable

Go to solution

To get 150mbps you'd need to be on G-Fast, so it's possible that you're on this.  Head over to another speed test site and see what you get from there. Try https://www.speedtest.net/ and see what you get... 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.  The website you gave returned 37Mbps download which sounds about right.  I am on the lowest level of FTTC because our profile says over 40Mbps is possible.  That’s why I was astonished the BT website consistently gives a result of 140-150Mbps.  We had instability on our line at several points over the past few years so I was checking that our profile etc hasn’t gone haywire at BT again.

At the very least if BT uses the unrealistic, false speeds from its site it will have a wildly exaggerated picture of its broadband performance.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Also, what browser are you using? if you're using a Mac I find that Safari is inaccurate in the information it returns.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Must be an issue with it, or incompatibility , my connection is solid 80/20 , but that checker gave 160Mb download, annoying , but it’s a bit of a 1st world issue, there are plenty of other speed checkers about, presumably BTw ( mindful that this is a BT Consumer  forum , BTw is a supplier ) will be aware.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@iniltous 

There still seem to be problems for some users, as indicated by large errors of speed measurements given on this thread.
The previous problems reported were that the FTTC and FTTP buttons were crossed over in functionality. This is a new one!
As a SH2 user, on FTTC, I get 1 or 2% variation of speeds, which is acceptable. Additional Diagnostics are now coming through....which was not the case a few days ago.
I still think that  the Hub Statistics are the best indication, although those do not give the "ping" time which appears to be important for some.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I can confirm that Safari returns really odd readings on download speeds - I'm on Full Fibre 900 , and on Safari the BT Wholesale speed checker reports my download speed as 1600 Mbps (if only!!). Moving to Chrome / Firefox and it goes to a more realistic speed (around 500 Mbps on WiFi). 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks vram81.  I am using Safari so will switch browsers.

0 Ratings