cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xamol73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 271 of 287

Re: BT throttling online games (guild wars 2) all the sudden?

271 posts, updated every day, and where is the official answer from BT admitting they are responsible? Nowhere.

I advise everyone who is able to transfer their provider and show them that this blatant ignoring your customers concerns will not be accepted, I personally am having plus net installed on Monday - the main reasons being the UK call centres, and their customer service reviews being the heighest.

Once I am swapped over I will rerun a speed test at unplayable BT times and let you guys know of the change.
Atomicide
Contributor
Message 272 of 287

Gave up playing the game for a while, been back the last few days and it's been running smooth as butter. Until tonight when it went back to the same old **bleep**, logged on at 8pm full on lag, disconnects, everything.

Unfortunately I still have over a year to run on my contract so there is absolutely nothing I can do at present

The fact of the matter is GW2 appears to be throttled, I've not seen it denied anywhere. The game uses about 20MB per hour of data. I've measured with netbalancer. The game uses such a paltry amount of data and is subject to throttling because apparently bandwidth is in short supply.

On the other hand, I can burn though about 2GB of bandwidth watching netflix for one hour, which is nearly 100 times as much data, and BT have absolutely no problem with this.

I may not be able to get out of my own contract, but I can sure as hell make sure nobody I know signs up for BT as their ISP.

0 Ratings
Seamie
Contributor
Message 273 of 287

But BT don't have traffic management lol.  A case for watchdog me thinks!

0 Ratings
Ende
Aspiring Contributor
Message 274 of 287

@Atomicide

BT is not throttling GW2 directly nor are they reducing your bandwidth.  Whats happening is that BT switches on its P2P throttling in the evenings and BTs stupid tech people think that GW2 traffic is P2P traffic, thats why GW2 is being throttled.  

The solution is either for GW2 to totally redesign its game or for BT to amend its P2P throttling filters.

@Seamie

I also believe that Watchdog would have a field day on this one... if only their team understood technology enough to do so! lol

0 Ratings
cam44
Beginner
Message 275 of 287

Absolutely unacceptable service!

BT doesn't understand the needs of gamers! For them, the internet is all about surfing the web and streaming YouTube videos!

I remember a few years back they were doing the same to me when I would be playing World of Warcraft. Everytime I played the game would get 'throttled'. All other sites were fine and my download speeds were 10mbps +, but the game would be unplayable.

BT can never take any responsibility and would always blame it on everything under the sun except themselves.

Time to simply move away from this ISP provider and their network!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Manutdimy
Aspiring Expert
Message 276 of 287

I'm surprised they haven't locked this thread, they locked our FIFA one! They don't care about their gamers one bit. They lie on their contracts and their customer service is appalling. 

0 Ratings
cam44
Beginner
Message 277 of 287

Just leave the contract and don't pay!

I know that sounds harsh but BT are not fulfilling their side of the agreement.

We pay but they don't provide the service.

Credit rating? I don't know but I've had problems with every single mobile service provider in the UK and have broken everyone of their contracts...but when I come back for a new contract later on they're always happy to sign me up again!

0 Ratings
ownprocess
Message 278 of 287

I've recently started playing GW2 again after some time away, and noticed frequent disconnects lag etc every day from around 7pm, which I previously never had.  I assumed it was the game client.  A post on the official forums sent me this way however, and now I learn BT throttling is the real cause.

Are there no forum moderators/tech support people who look at these threads and get this sorted as it seems phoning BT customer service is a total waste of time?  If not I will be cancelling my BT as soon as I can.

0 Ratings
iceman007
Beginner
Message 279 of 287

I have been getting this issue for a couple months now and have recently contacted BT on 2 occasions about this (via online chat).
What a waste of time that was. Having sent them the output from the tracert, (which times out after the 12th hop)i was told that is was an issue with my hardware!!!
Wow, what type of people do they employ on their first line support? Clueless.
The issue is worse during the evenings and weekends. The game is totally unplayable.
Hopefully BT does look at this forum and see the complaints about this and rectifies the problem.

0 Ratings
ownprocess
Message 280 of 287

Had a telephone call this morning to an email I sent last night re this issue. 

The guy was very polite, and basically apologised, but said as there is no technical fault with the network & my download & upload speeds are otherwise working normally there was nothing further he could do.  Although he did recognise there could well be an issue with throttling.  I also pointed him in the direction of this thread to highlight I was not the only one.

I can only suggest people continue to email them as above, perhaps sheer weight of numbers may get something done.

0 Ratings