cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corafadin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 287

BT throttling online games (guild wars 2) all the sudden?

Hello

We have 2 internet connections, one BT and one sky. The BT one is faster, so we use the other one as backup.

For a few days now it becomes impossible for us to play guild wars 2 over the BT line at 5pm. It stays incredibly laggy up to the point where the UI won't even load until it resumes normal service at 11pm. (That smells like throttling to me.)

We know it is not the game's fault because we can play fine using the sky line at time.

We contacted customer support and spoke to them on the phone twice. They basically tried to make us believe that it is our hardware that is causing the problem and offered to send us a technician which we should pay ourselves. Which is ridiculous!

Is there anything we can do to make the BT line usable again or do we need to cancel our contract and get a different provider? (That is the great thing about having 2 DLS providers, its really painless to change one of them.)

0 Ratings
286 REPLIES 286
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 287

Re: BT throttling online games (guild wars 2) all the sudden?

If you have had Infinity installed after Feb 2013 you should not be traffic managed

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management

but you could run a Glasnost test to be sure.

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

0 Ratings
corafadin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 287

Thanks for the quick reply and the links.

I am pretty certain we have BT infinity (option 2) for over a year. Still, Guild Wars 2 is an MMO and no filesharing and should not be throttled. I remember back then when the MMO Rift was released, BT accidently (?) categorized it as file sharing and the game was unplayable until they fixed it. This is exactly the lag with the same symptoms that we and many other players are experiencing now.

Until I read your post I did not understand why according to the guild wars 2 forums some BT customers experience the latency and other do not. Now it makes sence though, the ones who dont have problems might have a newer contract.

I wanted to use the link with the test you recommended but I do not have torrent software installed, neither do I know how to get legal torrents to download. So I have not done it.

As I said though, it feels like throttling we experienced before and many other users experience the same. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 287

Just run the test, it will still give a result.

0 Ratings
scanz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 287

Hello,

I too have been experiencing this problem, yet have Infinity and the new contract for 'no traffic management'.

For the past week or so I have been experiencing regular disconnects from the game during the evenings and yesterday I was able to play fine right up until around 7pm last night where the game just became unplayable. I was unable to load maps, if I did load the map the UI would either not load or take an age to do so, if I got that far then trying to use in-game skills would simply not work. When I tried to join a World versus World map it would just hang on the loading screen. When it did load I'd quickly be disconnected.

This issue has never occurred for me before and I have played the game for over a year without issues. It is not a hardware fault my end or a fault with the game because it's only impacting users on certain ISP's, in the UK it is BT. Ok, I'm willing to admit this could be a little far-fetched and completely false, but I don't even know how to go about complaining and having BT check this properly.

It certainly feels like throttling and/or a mis-configuration that BT may have recently changed.

0 Ratings
snow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 287

Same issue GuildWars2 is only affected during peak times in the last few days, becoming totally unplayable while other internet useage is running fine.
0 Ratings
ginganinja1980
Beginner
Message 7 of 287

Same issue here game has become unplayable cus of tinet, I think they have something to do with tiscali so god save us all LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 287

Yeah, the problem with Ubi was solved when Tinet was avoided
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Atomicide
Contributor
Message 9 of 287

Confirming this issue as well, it is only within the past week or so that this problem came about. Im not an infinity customer as I am stuck on plain old ADSL, but can confirm the package I am on is subject to throttling (confirmed by glasnost) if it helps at all.

0 Ratings
Xanzaki
Beginner
Message 10 of 287

Same issue with Guild Wars 2.  Like Atomicide I dont have infinity but am a BT customer suffering from the same severe latency issues since last week.

0 Ratings