cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladdish
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT unable to get Infinity and phone line to work at the same time - no escape..

After being a BT customer for many years and a past employee...I decided to upgrade from basic brodaband which worked fine for years ...to Infinity ....so placed an order on the 5th Feb..the upgrade happened on teh 19th Feb...thats where the nightmare started...

Since then its been daily fault chasing..it started with the broadband being slower than the previous basic service- fault still open since the 24th Feb and not fixed ...then the phone line became noisy which was belived to be why we didnt get Infinity Speeds - so and engineer came on Friday and fixed the noise...great I thought, but alas no - as over the weekend the broadband speed died again, but we could now hold conversations on the phone  - I am hearing impaired and as you can imagine noisy lines make it impossible to hear anything...

Today I spent an hour with an engineer who admitted there was a fault on Infinity - yipee it now seems fixed as I can write this post...but sadly the Phone line is back to noisy again so I spent another hour on the phone and I have to wait another 4 hours for a call back on a fault 

Decided enough was enough ..thats 2 weeks and neither Phone or Broadband have worked together...but found I cant leave to go elsewhere as the 14 day cooling off period ended the day service was provided rather than as I woudl have thought from the start of service...okay can I go back to my old basisc service - no thats not possible either..

Summary :-- No service but can't leave ........even though I have given BT 2 weeks to get things fixed ....This seemes to be a scam by BT 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT unable to get Infinity and phone line to work at the same time - no escape..

As a previous employee, I would have thought you'd have known better to think BT "scam" customers .There's quite clearly a complex fault (or multiple faults) which means it isn't an easy fix. You need a further engineer visit to rectify the fault. Are you connected to the test socket with only the router and one telephone connected to the filter? Doing so will rule out the possibility of your home wiring/internal wiring adding to the problem.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
vladdish
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT unable to get Infinity and phone line to work at the same time - no escape..

I only have one socket - the master socket into which the router is connected..there is no internal wiring...I have changed filters run speed tests directly connected etc.etc.etc...

I am unable to book an engineer again for 4 hours ...no real idea why...but I am being called back to book an engineer...even though its teh only way to get it fixed...guess it will be days to get an apointment as it was last time....

The scam is that the 14 day contract cooling off period finished before service is provided rather than after its provided...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You're told when you sign up that you can cancel up to the day of (or day before - I can't remember) activation. There is no scam. Those are the terms you agreed to when you ordered the service. Like most people (me included) you probably didn't read through them all, however they are there, in plain text.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
vladdish
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

If you read distance selling rules...they state that the supplier must deliver the service contracted and teh right to termiate contract is 7 days from receipt of goods

In this instance BT have failed to provide the contracted service ie. Phone and Broadband together rather than one or the other but not both...As the customer I have given them adequate time to provide service - 2 weeks from start of service or receipt of goods.

I am not allowed to go back to my previous service or leave without ETCs...as they claim that the Cooling off period ended teh day service was provided which doesnt align with the distance selling rules.

Maybe now you can understand why I feel scammed as the BT rules do not align with distance selling rules.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

There is also something written into the BT contract that states you must give BT a reasonable chance to rectify any issues with service before being able to terminate without penalty. If you feel strongly that you've given reasonable time, I suggest you raise a complaint. This will be investigated. If a satisfactory outcome can not be agreed to by both parties, BT will issue you with their final stance on the matter and you will have the option to take the issue to the Ombudsman for them to rule whether or not BT should allow you to leave without any penalty.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

the distance selling regulations are not being broken

'Since June 2014, the Consumer Contracts Regulations have applied to contracts sold at a distance, including broadband services. These extend the distance selling ‘cooling off period’ to 14 days. This period starts either when you receive written confirmation of your contract, or when the broadband service starts to be supplied.'

BT T&C are from date contract accepted.  however you still have the ability to cancel should your speed not be within that estimated by BT but you need to allow BT to send engineers to try and improve your speed.  should they fail then you can cancel without any cancellation charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
vladdish
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for completely agreeing with me.....I can read BTW...

BT will not let you  cancel within 14 days of start of service start ....

Hence scammed...Thanks for agreeing with why I am not a happy customer and agreeing I am not being treated correctly..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

your contract would be agreed when you received the email from BT setting out the terms and that would start your 14 days and this would be before your activation date - so no I am not agreeing that 14 days start when service starts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi guys,

Thanks all for posting. I think we're moving away from the initial issue which is @vladdish Inifnity connection (or lack of). You've all made very valid points but @Webby is correct in this instance. The best option would be to stick with getting the issue fixed but if you continue to have problems please post back and we'll be happy to step in.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings