cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garybs29
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT want to charge me extra to get minimum guaranteed speed. Unfair?

Accordong to the below link, theres a master socket change mentioned as well

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60626/~/how-is-bts-ultrafast-fibre-broadband-installe...

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Thanks. But doubt it would be necessary in order to achieve the speed of 71-80 Mbps I paid for if they switched my service to GFast at the cabinet. They already upgraded my master socket 2 yrs ago, and the router is plugged in to it directly. I imagine my existing smart hub would work fine? As I said, I'm not looking for a new service, new equipment or minimum of 100 Mbps. It would just be nice if they found a way to make good on the originally advertised 71-80 Mbps now that it's possible. But I can see you disagree, and that's fine. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 13 of 20

Your current router would not work on a G.Fast connection.

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Thank you for the clarification. Not as simple as I thought then. I will probably leave things as they are for a while then, because I hate to keep chucking away modems and stuff unless I really have to. It's a shame, but it's not very environmentally friendly to keep consuming electronics and plastic. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 15 of 20

Your local recycling place will take then.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Hi @bertiepma 

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the broadband speeds you are getting.

You mentioned that when you took out the service we told you: 

"We estimate your download speed will be between 71Mbps and 80Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 19Mbps and 20Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 64Mbps."

As long as you are getting speeds of 64Mbps to your BT Hub then you are getting the speeds you are paying for. You will never be able to get speeds over 80mbps on an FTTC connection as the max speed available on this service is 80mbps.

If you are getting speeds that are less than 64Mbps then we would do everything we can to improve the speed.

If you run a wired Speed Test what speeds are you getting at the moment?

Please let me know how you get on with the speed test.

Matt

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Thanks Matt. But I have done all that already, ad nauseam. The problem is that I am getting less than 64. Apparently the 'new' minimum for my address is 57, which I am getting (normally hits around 60). 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 20

@bertiepma wrote:

Thanks Matt. But I have done all that already, ad nauseam. The problem is that I am getting less than 64. Apparently the 'new' minimum for my address is 57, which I am getting (normally hits around 60). 

If we sold you a minimum of 64 this won't change however new customers in your area may be sold a minimum of 57Mbps. 

If you are getting less than 64Mbps then we will need to take a look into this to make sure that we have done everything we can to increase the speed.

Can you post a screenshot of your hub stats please?

Matt

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

I renewed my contract a few months  back over the phone. I suspect the new minimum of 57 was in place then, but I was not informed that it had decreased from the previous 64 minimum. I only found out about the 57 minimum speed when I phoned BT yesterday to query how it was now possible to achieve a minimum of 100Mb.  Like I said, I have been through all of this already with an engineer visit to the house also where he tested directly in the socket,  and concluded that I was getting the best speed achievable with the current setup.  I'm afraid I don't have the time or patience to go through it all again! Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

@bertiepma wrote:

I renewed my contract a few months  back over the phone. I suspect the new minimum of 57 was in place then, but I was not informed that it had decreased from the previous 64 minimum. I only found out about the 57 minimum speed when I phoned BT yesterday to query how it was now possible to achieve a minimum of 100Mb.  Like I said, I have been through all of this already with an engineer visit to the house also where he tested directly in the socket,  and concluded that I was getting the best speed achievable with the current setup.  I'm afraid I don't have the time or patience to go through it all again! Thank you. 

No problem but if you change your mind please let me know and post the hub stats. I personally don't think everything that can be done has been done in this case by the sounds of it.

Matt

0 Ratings