cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT want to charge me extra to get minimum guaranteed speed. Unfair?

Hi,

I signed up to BT infinity 2 yrs ago with promised speeds of 80-90 Mbps and guaranteed 64Mbps. My actual speed was a little under the guaranteed and BT investigation showed that the cabinet at the end of my street was receiving around 80 and this was dropping along the phone wires between there and my socket, so nothing more could be done technically to improves my speed. I was offered out of the contract, but it seemed pointless to switch to another provider as the infrastructure was at fault (and we are unable to switch to Virgin).

Now, I have received a letter form BT inviting me to upgrade to Ultrafibre plus with a minimum 100Mbps guarantee, Fabulous- except they want me to pay an extra £5 per month for the privilege. Am I being unreasonable to think that they should be switching me on to a faster service free of charge and within my current contract? After all, I have been receiving a service below what was advertised for the last 2 years, when they do now have the technical ability to deliver my guaranteed minimum speed. 

Customer services told me today I would need to take out a new 18th month contract to get the ultra fibre service and they would look at reducing the extra £5 p/m. But I don't want to sign up for another 18 months! I just want what I originally signed up for. Thanks 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT want to charge me extra to get minimum guaranteed speed. Unfair?

Ultrafast plus is a different service to the one you are on. Infinity 2 has a max of 80Mb Ultrafast 1 has a maximum of 150Mb

Infinity is a VDSL service, Ultrafast is G.Fast or (if available in your area) FTTP.

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Thanks. I get that. I assume it is now G-fast to the cabinet, as they've not been laying any new cables down my road....I still don't see why I can't be switched to a service with a speed more in line with what I was originally sold, without having to pay more and/or commit to a longer contract. 

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Simply because you weren't sold a 100 guarantee so why would they switch you to it free of charge?

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Because I don't expect 100. I would like the 80-90 I was sold. Or at least the 64 I was guaranteed. It's mis-selling in my opinion, even if it was not deliberately misleading.  And now they have the capability to rectify, but choose not to. Poor customer service in my opinion. They are no longer guaranteeing 64Mbps to new customers on fast fibre I notice- because they cannot deliver presumably. The new guarantee is 57 in my area.  57 is quite a lot lower than the 80-90 speed that lured me to switch provider to them in the first place. 

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

To clarify the Superfast & Ultrafast are 2 different products which use different equipment etc plus i believe the ultrafast includes an engineer to set up (hemce the extra cost & new contract) so it's not as simple as flicking a switch to give you a higher speed. I understand your frustrations but in effect they've done all theu can by offering to end your contract which you turned down

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

you were never able to get between 80/90mb as max speed was 80mb of superfast (infinity) 2  as your line can't get the minimum speed BT offered to let you leave without any cancellation fees but you chose to stay and accept the contract  why should you be upgraded to a different delivery system with a significantly faster connection speed free of charge?  just stay as you are and continue with current contract and then change ISP at contract end

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Thank you. I stand corrected, they said:

"We estimate your download speed will be between 71Mbps and 80Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 19Mbps and 20Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 64Mbps."

Anyway, I agree. I will look at what's on offer from other USPs. And remain a bit annoyed. First world problems and all that 😄 

0 Ratings
bertiepma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Is it not as simple as switching a connection in the cabinet? I suspect it might be, and there is an engineer at the cabinet almost daily as I walk past (London!). But I'm no BT engineer so will stand corrected  🙂  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@bertiepma wrote:

Is it not as simple as switching a connection in the cabinet? I suspect it might be, and there is an engineer at the cabinet almost daily as I walk past (London!). But I'm no BT engineer so will stand corrected  🙂  

not sure how that has any bearing on being charged extra for a better faster service

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings