cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 32

Re: BT you are a joke

If you have a faulty service which you're currently paying for I suggest contacting the technical help desk.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 12 of 32

What ageing infrustructure?

When BT was privatised all they had was a ropey old analogue telephone system, since then they have upgraded the exchanges with digital voice equipment, went ahead with ADSL, ADSLmax.ADSL2+ and now VDSL2.

Apart from some older lines from cabinets to houses the vast majority of BT's infrasturcture is very new.

The problem with the FTTC rolout is that the UK Goverment and OFCOM refused point blank to allow it until 2008 and then BT had to roll it out at breakneck speed.

Who knows what will happen post 2014 when the current plans for FTTC finish, but by then FTTP on demand will hopefull be avaliable and hopefully take up of VDSL2 service anf FTTP will convince openreach to continue to the rollout to more of the 85,000 cabinets in the UK.

0 Ratings
Gaz187
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

I don't know why everyone on this thread is so protective about BT,i have read these forums long enough to see what problems BT has had and done very little untill they have no choice but to start these roll outs,i will take that link you gave out with a pinch of salt as words mean very little me as i have seen it all before with false promises.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 32

Try this link then.

0 Ratings
flyerguy
Contributor
Message 15 of 32

@Gaz187 wrote:

I don't know why everyone on this thread is so protective about BT,i have read these forums long enough to see what problems BT has had and done very little untill they have no choice but to start these roll outs,i will take that link you gave out with a pinch of salt as words mean very little me as i have seen it all before with false promises.

Well said Gaz. Completely agree with you!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 32

I am certainly not protective about any ISP and think all could do better and be more open.

The fact remains the full roll out will take time and some will get it sooner than others.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 32

Gax87 has a point Carlisle has only 8 cabinets planned according to the December sheet on an exchange serving approx 40,000 addresses which seems low as even if each cabinet serves 750 addresses it would be 15% of the town. BT group are investing some £2.5bn of the company's money and require a commercial return quite why the other 100 plus cabinets in Carlisle don't seem to meet their test is unknown. It maybe a scheduling issue with further cabinets due in later phases as has happened elsewhere or it maybe that the town has a lot of small cabinets each serving a few addresses and therefore not viable for FTTC - there are at least 125 cabinets on that exchange.

Last week BT reported they had passed 10 million addresses around 37% of the UK with a target of 65+% by the end of 2014 - that will leave around 8 million addresses not in the commercial project some of which will be handled with the government funds now being allocated but some will be missed.

To correct a few misunderstandings BT Openreach is not a separate company but does operate as an autonomous division with Chinese walls to BT Wholesale who in turn supply BT Retail to ensure BT group business do not have a competitive advantage. This is a regulatory requirement. Back in the early days of privitisation BT applied to install a fibre network but were refused consent to protect the cable TV operators. BT are not a joke they are a commercial corporation investing money to make profits they are not saints either.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 18 of 32

Definitely wouldn't say being protective over B.T at all, but Infinitechris, whether they are or aren't individual or separate companies, the operate individually, yes your right with chinese walls, but having said they since they operate individually one can't have any impact on the other, therefore technically the rollout is down to Openreach and Openreach alone, so they are separated due to a monopoly.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 19 of 32

@Gaz187 wrote:

I am not being "proactive" about BT, but you are wrong when you say BT has done very little until they had no choice, they have been trying for 25 years to introduce fibre services to the UK but successive governments and regulators knocked them back until 2008.

I assume that the government was trying to protect the cable TV operators from any form of direct competition.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 20 of 32

@deathaxe wrote:

@Gaz187 wrote:

I am not being "proactive" about BT, but you are wrong when you say BT has done very little until they had no choice, they have been trying for 25 years to introduce fibre services to the UK but successive governments and regulators knocked them back until 2008.

I assume that the government was trying to protect the cable TV operators from any form of direct competition.

You are partly right there, i actually heard or read an article that it was OFCOM who told them no, they were gonna lay fibre almost 20 years ago.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings