cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speedeamon
Message 1 of 5

BTInfinity 2 or just plain BT Infinity?

Hi,

I ordered a BT Infinity 2 package after checking availability at http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/internet-speed-test#services-checker

With an estimated speed of:

57.6Mb
Download speed

20Mb
Upload speed

The engineer installed yesterday and commented that although I had ordered 80/20 service, the cabinet did not support this and it would be a 40/10 service. My speed so far seems to bear this out, we are averaging around 21/6 which if it is on 40/10 would be a similar profile to that estimated for 80/20.

So my question is, does the 80/20 service require specific support in the cabinet? Or should this just be something that is enabled on the line up at the exchange (it seems crazy to me that BT would have to send out an engineer to upgrade everyone that wants to go from 40/10 to 80/20).

I'm going to leave it for another week, our previous service was averaging around 1.7Mbs so I'm certainly not complaining about the actual speed we are receiving, although I don't want to be paying for a 80/20 service if thats not what is being delivered. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BTInfinity 2 or just plain BT Infinity?

all cabinets are capable of 80/20 mb services the only thing that can affect speed is the distance from your home to the cabinet run the further diagnostics part of the BT speed test so we can see your IP Profile and we can then advise you further http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
speedeamon
Message 3 of 5

Thanks,

This is the output of the diagnostic tests, we are some distance from the cabinet. 

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 21.42 Mbps

0 Mbps23.41 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 21.42 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-23.41 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 23.41 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 6.6 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.6Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

you are on infinity 2 it looks as though the distance between your home and the cabinet may be a long line or an aluminium line which would not achieve the maximum speed
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 5 of 5

as your ip profile says 20mbps upload you are on the 80/20 infinity connection, if you were on the 40/10 your upload profile would be up tp 10 mbps

0 Ratings