cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Backup Battery Unit Not Working

Apologies if this has been covered before. I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

Our fibre to premises was installed 2017 and we have the Smart3 Hub, ONT(?) and a BBU. The BBU batteries died last year so I replaced them and assumed all was good as they seemed to charge OK and the fault light went out. We have also been changed over by BT to digital phone only.

This weekend we were struck by Storm Eunice and I assumed the BBU would power the ONT and Hub. However it didn't. So my first question is - is there something I need to do when we have a power cut to ensure the BBU does actually power the ONT/router/hub? I know it only works for an hour or so but given that we have relatively poor mobile coverage here it would be helpful to have the router/internet/phone available even for an hour. 

My second question is - if the BBU does not work then just wondering if  it is possible to power the system using a car battery? I mean it is 12 V after all.  Or am I being crazy?

Thanks for any advice/words of wisdom

Subseaeng1

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Backup Battery Unit Not Working

If you have FTTP, (Fibre to the Premises) you will need a battery back up that can power two or more devices or two battery back ups, one for the BT Smarthub and one for the ONT (Modem).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your quick response.
So I assume the the BBU BT supplied cannot do this? When the power went off there were no lights illuminated on the BBU nor the ONT. Thinking about it I can understand that I will need a separate power source for the smarthub2 but not sure why BT do not supply a proper system!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@Subseaeng1 wrote:
Thinking about it I can understand that I will need a separate power source for the smarthub2 but not sure why BT do not supply a proper system!

Because BT obviously unlike you, did not think about it. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

The battery backup unit supplied by BT is no longer of any use to FTTP customers unless you have Fibre Voice Access, it was there to ensure that your phone still worked in the the event of power failure but FVA is now a legacy product.

Message 6 of 11

Many thanks Les-Gibson.
Seems like I'll need to get two tin cans and some string in the event of a power failure in future. 30 miles from Central London and I need a sat phone! Progress???
Message 7 of 11

Plenty of chat about the pro’s and con’s of DV, but as already stated, the battery back up unit (BBU) was effectively for powering only the ONT in the event of a power failure, FVA plugging into the ONT, so the phone service was maintained, the equipment fitted now (on FTTP installations) doesn’t have a BBU as FVA is a discontinued service, DV is BT’s proprietary phone service ( which you are not obliged to take ) and plugs into the router not the ONT  , so obviously in a power cut , you would need a method of powering the ONT and router, this is effectively the users problem, of course it’s not an issue for the vast majority who will have a mobile phone to use in the event of losing power locally.

Message 8 of 11

You may feel aggrieved at the thought of incurring a cost to yourself as a result of a BT decision and you'll certainly get no argument from me if you do but if it's a matter of urgency then you may wish to consider this.

It's the best part of £70 from Amazon and should power both the ONT and the Smart-hub thus maintaining your telephone service. BBU.jpg

Message 9 of 11

Many thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated. I know if I get this we will never have another power cut again - worth it for that alone.
Message 10 of 11

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

The battery backup unit supplied by BT is no longer of any use to FTTP customers

And yet from the DV FAQs:

Like your cordless phones today, Digital Voice won’t work if there’s a power failure. So please make sure you have another way to make a call, like a mobile phone. If you can’t use a mobile phone at home, our battery back-up unit can keep your phone line connected for up to an hour.

So BT are still suggesting that a backup is provided, which is a bit naughty.

0 Ratings