cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 11 of 29

Re: Bait and Switch from BT

I'm using Tp-Link Homehubs because they are just the same as a lead speedwise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 29

you have a 43.6Mbps connection which is within the BT Wholesale expected speeds have you tried connecting the hub to the test socket and see if that improves the connection further
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 29

It sounds like it may be an exchange issue where the ports are congested (hot VP). BT Wholesale are normally pretty quick at sorting these things in comparison to other providers. That said you must run the "Further Diagnostics" part of the speed test, this will then be recorded by BT Wholesale.

Note:- It is only the most recent result that is recorded, all previous ones are overwritten so do the test when the problem is at it's worst. Also post the result here.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 14 of 29

John, with respect, how have I been getting 46Mb since May then until the past week or so ?

Something has clearly been changed.

And it seems to escape everyone I speak to that I was *guaranteed* 45Mbs minimum. They managed to do this for a few months so what could be the problem now ?

Thanks to you guys for your help though. This is just like TalkTalk, their support is terrible and do not address the issue. It always falls down to fellow customers to do the work, which is nice of you, but BT should pull their finger out.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 15 of 29

Having now seen your stats etc please ignore my previous post as what I mentioned there is clearly not a problem.

What are TP-Link Homehubs? Are you on about ethernet over mains wiring as that could be the cause of your problem.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 16 of 29

Pippin as I mentioned these provide the same speed as the cable.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 17 of 29

Homeplugs are Ethernet over main yes.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 18 of 29

I should have said Homeplugs.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 29

You said "I'm using Tp-Link Homehubs because they are just the same as a lead speedwise."

They'll not be as good as a direct Ethernet connection to the hub LAN port, but are not the limiting factor in this case.

You're hub reports a maximum data rate of ~43Mbps, but is only sync'ing at ~33Mbps.

As already asked, are you connected to an extension socket, master socket or better still, the test socket? If not connected to the test socket, can you do so and post the stats from the hub?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 20 of 29

I'll do that tomorrow.

Let's just cover my simple concerns/questions that have not been addressed. If you are willing to help then I thank you.

1) Why was I guaranteed 45Mb ?

2) How is it I was getting 46Mbs all this time ?

3) Why do you think the home plugs will be worse when I have reported that they were operating at the same speed ?

0 Ratings