cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 21 of 29

Re: Bait and Switch from BT

To appease you all I connected directly with the cable and it's exactly the same as I said.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 29

@RogerDavie wrote:

I'll do that tomorrow.

Let's just cover my simple concerns/questions that have not been addressed. If you are willing to help then I thank you.

1) Why was I guaranteed 45Mb ?

2) How is it I was getting 46Mbs all this time ?

3) Why do you think the home plugs will be worse when I have reported that they were operating at the same speed ?

My thoughts on this.

1. Only the person that you spoke to can say exactly why they guaranteed you 45 Mbps. Your expected connectivity should be between 40 and 52 Mbps as shown in the checker. For BT to guarantee anything other is wrong.

2. There are many reported cases of speeds dropping over time, possibly due to cross talk. Cross talk is where other users on the same copper cable as yourself are subsequently connected via FTTC, with one signal interfering with another resulting in a reduction in speed in order to maintain stability.

3. My point is that a proper Ethernet connection over Cat 5e or Cat 6 UTP cable will out perform an Ethernet connection via your home's electrical wiring. UTP cable is designed for Ethernet at speeds up to 10 Gbps and parameters such as the number of twists per meter of each pair of the cable is critical to this. Your home's electrical wiring is designed to accommodate mains voltage. As I said, they're not the issue in this case as they're more than capable of supporting the speeds available on your FTTC connection.

If we focus for the moment on the technical aspects we can ignore point 1. We can also ignore point 3 as the powerline extenders support higher speeds than the Infinity connection and so are not the bottleneck. This leaves us trying to understand why your speeds are lower. If you can connect to the test socket we eliminate anything internal to your home as a possible cause and so allow narrowing in on the root cause. 

Regards

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 23 of 29

Morning, thanks for your reply 🙂

Sorry I was short last night, I had spoken or chatted with four of BT's offshore support people and none of them seemed to understand me. I was very frustrtated with them.

Anyway I will reply.

1) I think at time the quoted speeds were more like 30/36 to 52, that's when I was promised 45Mb. I wouldn't have taken up BTs offer otherwise. As you see I am now paying more for for less.

2) Okay thank you.

3) Explanation gratefully received, although I was aware of the limitations. I did say the speeds were the same...

I emailed the CEO in the end, got a reply already. Thankfully this person does know what a guarantee is and agreed that the speeds were not what they would expect. They are sorting me out an engineer.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 24 of 29

It's just a shame that I had to make a big fuss to get help.

0 Ratings
herrbohnen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 29

Please check your Internet connection
We are unable to communicate with your inbox. You can also reload the page to try to reconnect. How do I fix my Internet connection?
0 Ratings
herrbohnen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 29

Ive had BT openreash blokes and contractors working on my local & fibre cabinet  for the last 2.5 weeks, 5 vans there yesterday but yet they say my broadband is fine 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 27 of 29

@RogerDavie wrote:

Why do you think the home plugs will be worse when I have reported that they were operating at the same speed ?

Simple, home plugs besides having greater overheads (in networking terms AKS, NAKS etc) which all take up bandwidth also depend on the quality of the electrical wiring in you home.

You have an electrical distrobution box with various MCB's PCB's etc all governing different circuits. These have an effect on the performance of homeplugs especially if the modem/router is downstairs and you are upstairs, typically now the downstairs and upstairs socket ring mains are on seperate curcuits and both have to travel through 2 sets of (keeping it easy) trips (those things that trip out when there's a problem).

Add to that the addition overheads that homeplugs need actual throughput will be approximately half of there rated value. Not set in stone but a reasoned approximation.

Nothing ever beats an actual wired ethernet lead - at least not so far.

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 28 of 29

Yep I know, I studied electronics at university.

I said my home plugs were the same speed as my cable. They have consistently been the same speed. They are as good as the cable; what more can I say ? Don't you believe me ?

0 Ratings
RogerDavie
Beginner
Message 29 of 29

Thanks though 🙂

0 Ratings