Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
planetf1
Expert
Message 1 of 2

Banded profile

I have a BT Infinity 1 unlimited service & think I am stuck on a "banded" profile.

I'm still on a seemingly "stuck" 35Mbps (34999) profile, it's been that way for around 9 months now, after a failed attempt to use a HH5a as VDSL modem (which was very unstable, involved problem reports, HW swaps but basically it's a useless bit of kit as a modem), as well as trying a new router (which was better, but had other issues) got DLMs attention. Switching back to the trusty HG612 *instantly* resolved all problems - I was only trying to simplify the number of boxes I was using.

My link is solid now for 50 days -- it's only gone down through powercut or me moving kit (which I leave off for 30 mins+ now) - I've had multiple stints of 50,60 days uptime over the last 9 months or so, but there's been NO sign of the 34999 banding being removed.

G.INP is active.

My sync is 34999 7.7dB / 6995 7.4dB

It's not that bad, and therefore not in the "fault" threshold, and I might gain 3-4 Mbps (in the past I've got close to 40), but I am continually resentful of the fact it's been capped by an automated algorithm that my understanding was should (in general) monitor error stats and release such limits after a period of stability. It isn't. I'm also resentful that it was caused by trying to use BT hardware which was unfit for purpose.

a) Can I get the status of my line checked to see if indeed it is "banded"

b) How should the banding be released

c) Will the upcoming change by openreach to adopt 3dB (or 4/5) profiles cause a full DLM reset

| UPDATE - checking further it seems it was around a year ago since Banding started. Prior to that I had speedtests about 4-5 Mbps higher (about 37-38, on the 40 Mbps package at the time, vs around 32.x now)

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Banded profile

@planetf1 wrote:

I have a BT Infinity 1 unlimited service & think I am stuck on a "banded" profile.

I'm still on a seemingly "stuck" 35Mbps (34999) profile, it's been that way for around 9 months now, after a failed attempt to use a HH5a as VDSL modem (which was very unstable, involved problem reports, HW swaps but basically it's a useless bit of kit as a modem), as well as trying a new router (which was better, but had other issues) got DLMs attention. Switching back to the trusty HG612 *instantly* resolved all problems - I was only trying to simplify the number of boxes I was using.

My link is solid now for 50 days -- it's only gone down through powercut or me moving kit (which I leave off for 30 mins+ now) - I've had multiple stints of 50,60 days uptime over the last 9 months or so, but there's been NO sign of the 34999 banding being removed.

G.INP is active.

My sync is 34999 7.7dB / 6995 7.4dB

It's not that bad, and therefore not in the "fault" threshold, and I might gain 3-4 Mbps (in the past I've got close to 40), but I am continually resentful of the fact it's been capped by an automated algorithm that my understanding was should (in general) monitor error stats and release such limits after a period of stability. It isn't. I'm also resentful that it was caused by trying to use BT hardware which was unfit for purpose.

a) Can I get the status of my line checked to see if indeed it is "banded" No

b) How should the banding be released Theoretically DLM should release it when it is happy you have a stable line with a low error count, in practice in may stay indefinitely. My banding never got released after over 9 months until I had a line fault that necessitated an engineer visit.

c) Will the upcoming change by openreach to adopt 3dB (or 4/5) profiles cause a full DLM reset Possibly, but there appears to be 2 levels of DLM reset. When my line was upgraded to the 52M Infinity1 limit, I had a DLM reset but my line was still banded at 35M afterwards.

| UPDATE - checking further it seems it was around a year ago since Banding started. Prior to that I had speedtests about 4-5 Mbps higher (about 37-38, on the 40 Mbps package at the time, vs around 32.x now)

At the end of the day you will notice absolutely no difference if the banding is removed.

0 Ratings