cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 99

Re: Banding 'stuck' or just impatient me?

Thanks.  If BT run a Standard (Speed) profile I think the line should have been green for a while now.

I'm not sure if it's in that post or another but there is mention of a maximum of 64 day barrier (64+1)...

I think the line might be over 30 days green now but without somebody at BT taking the time to look at the DLM stats its impossible to tell what the DLM is doing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 42 of 99

My current stats:

stats.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 43 of 99

Would somebody from BT please tell me why this line is still capped at 48.99Mbits.

2020-01-26.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 99

Have you tried decreasing snr? 8db seems high, you defo should try 6db if all good try 3db
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 45 of 99

No, I'm not messing with snr as this will just cause more confusion. 

I believe 8db is the upstream anyway.  6bd seems 'standard' for Huawei kit downstream although it will set lower - I've seen 3.1db on this line  Even if I were to reduce the downstream snr (and assuming that did not upset the stubborn DLM even more) it would only serve to increase the Attainable bandwidth the Actual bandwidth would still be limited by the banding / capping at 48.99Mbits. 

I need the banding to improve so I can get my Actual closer to my Attainable and see if the DLM then reduces my snr down as it was before the router swap.  If it does not then the next step is to swap the SH2 back in and see what happens. Problem is this is a long drawn out process because BT don't want to reset the DLM...

At least that's my understanding at the moment. OpenReach don't seem to publish such information publicly and I've yet to get the chance to mug an OpenReach Engineer for some facts.

If I knew for certain paying for an OpenReach visit would yield a DLM reset I would pay the fee.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 99

none of the recent stats posted show any internet connection time

getting an openreach broadband engineer would only help id the engineer found a problem with your connection (not banding) and fixed it.  He can then phone and get DLM reset but only id he fixes a problem

as your connection speed is within acceptable speed range getting BT to help is not hopeful

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 99

@pjones wrote:
Have you tried decreasing snr? 8db seems high, you defo should try 6db if all good try 3db

You can't decrease the SNR, that is controlled by DLM. The SNR is high because DLM has reduced the speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 99

@Slvrbck 

DLM is there for a purpose. The greatest "waste" of transmission bandwidth are CRC errors, as they cause unnecessary re-transmission of data.

By reducing the connection speed, it allows a reduction or elimination of CRC errors owing to the higher SNR.

If you look at your connection you are seeing a near end CRC count of 6, but a far end CRC count of 11456 which means that the frequency bands used for upload, are erroring even with a margin of 8dB.

You also have 9889 far end errored seconds and 39551 unavailable seconds.

So I do not think you are going to see much improvement, with your current line quality.

These error figures are not available to anyone using a home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 99

"You also have 9889 far end errored seconds and 39551 unavailable seconds."

but these details dont reset daily - they always add up so its difficult to say when exactly they were created. I think the only way is to take a screenshot each day and count how many has been add up each day. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 99

@pjones wrote:

"You also have 9889 far end errored seconds and 39551 unavailable seconds."

but these details dont reset daily - they always add up so its difficult to say when exactly they were created. I think the only way is to take a screenshot each day and count how many has been add up each day. 

Exactly, that is how to do it. You may find bursts of CRC errors, which can be caused by electrical interference. That can cause "pauses" in your connection as data is re-transmitted.

Its better to have a slower connection speed and no CRC errors.

As its been said, this is only going to be of interest to you, as BT will not take action unless your speed falls below the handback value.

0 Ratings