cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 51 of 99

Re: Banding 'stuck' or just impatient me?

Yes, BT won't handback. Speed within service agreement

Upstream errors have only been recent and I think one burst.  I'm blaming the two Fire Engines dealing with a house fire in the road the other day...

I have been taking screenshots daily'ish.  If the info I have found is anywhere near accurate I think the ILQ should be green but I don't have definitive figures to compare to. I thought DLM ignored CRCs and only counted ES's? I'm running at about 150 ES a day with no more than one retain (and I think that is DLM overnight) ,I I don't think there has been a retrain for 5 days. This must put the line Green on an standard/ aggressive profile.  That should have been green for more than 30 days now IMHO.  I'm not sure if the DSL stats can be monitored via SNMP.  I will have a look see.

Router has been not been restarted for 9 days this time. I can't post pic from Android so will swap and post screenshot in a mo.

From what I read DLM will not act if there are less that 5 retrains a day. I think with configuration changes and the odd power cut its probably only been restarted about 4 times since it went in over 30 days ago.  Problem is the Draytek likes to be restarted on many configuration changes.

I'm having problems accepting this line has suddenly 'gone bad'. By that I mean a drop from a recent stable speed at 73Mbits at 3.1db. That was was with a SH2.

So my decision is, should I stick with the Draytek in place or swap back to the SH2?  When does this become the best option from a fault diagnosis point of view?  Considering I do want to run with the Draytek because if the feature set.  If the SH2 needs to be on the DSL I could double NAT between that and the Draytek as there is no bridge mode on the SH2... or poss solder a USB to a HH5 and bridge through that with OpenWrt... But I'm stuck not doing anything at the moment because I don't want to upset the DLM...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 99

I would stick with the Draytek, at least you can see what is going on. I am not sure what parameters DLM uses, but errored seconds would be a good guess, as that would cause CRC errors.

Because of the frequency distribution of download/upload on VDSL, it could be an interfering source just affecting one of the upload bands, perhaps the top end one?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 53 of 99

Which is it? The Draytek has been restarted on many config changes or only been restarted 4 times in 30 days?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 99

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I would stick with the Draytek, at least you can see what is going on. I am not sure what parameters DLM uses, but errored seconds would be a good guess, as that would cause CRC errors.

ES (errored seconds) are just periods of one second in which at least 1 CRC error occurs. SES (severely errored seconds) are periods of one second in which a number (can't remember exact figure) of CRCs occur.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 55 of 99

From https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

SES - Severely Errored Seconds

As the name indicates this is more worse than an Errored Second (which only needs one event to trigger an ES).
A Severely Errored Second is a one second period which contains 30% or more errored blocks OR several other events such as one or more OOF.

Note: It has been observed that a LOS event may be preceeded by a SES if the LOS was not preceeded by a LPR event.  ie The dying gasp message appears to prevent an additonal SES being recorded before an LOS.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 56 of 99

"Which is it? The Draytek has been restarted on many config changes or only been restarted 4 times in 30 days?"

TLDNR:  Short answer is: about 4 or 5 times since the fault was cleared over a month ago

Sorry miscommunication. The Draytek seems to want to be restarted almost everytime a configuration change is made.  The router is mostly at default apart from the necessary DSL and wireless setup.  I want to do more config work but I'm not because I don' want to keep restarting the router.  In the time that its been in it has been necessary to restart the router a couple of times. I've had a couple of power cuts in the bad weather  (which is not unusual here) so its been hard to show the router has been up for any significant period.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 57 of 99

@Slvrbck wrote:

"Which is it? The Draytek has been restarted on many config changes or only been restarted 4 times in 30 days?"

TLDNR:  Short answer is: about 4 or 5 times since the fault was cleared over a month ago

Sorry miscommunication. The Draytek seems to want to be restarted almost everytime a configuration change is made.  The router is mostly at default apart from the necessary DSL and wireless setup.  I want to do more config work but I'm not because I don' want to keep restarting the router.  In the time that its been in it has been necessary to restart the router a couple of times. I've had a couple of power cuts in the bad weather  (which is not unusual here) so its been hard to show the router has been up for any significant period.

It would not be difficult with a SH2. Just saying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 58 of 99

I'm looking at ES (my SES or both zero) as I see that the DLM may look at Mean Time Between Errors Seconds when calculating the ILQ.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 59 of 99

So you suggest swapping the HS2 back in?

That won't solve the powercut reboots...

Or are you saying there's is something more going on with the HS2 as it's BT kit?  

My next step is to swap it back in... but with all things considered when does one make that decision...?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 60 of 99

As promised 

Uptime1.jpg

[The prior reset for this count was a power cut and the router had been up for a good while before, maybe the same sort of time and if the DLM ignores wide power outages it should be thinking the router has been stable for at least two weeks]

0 Ratings