cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Being told I cannot order FTTP - openreach running FTTP cable across the frontage of my premises

Hi all, bit of a weird one - I am being told I cannot order FTTP, the OR wholesale portal shows my premises as FTTP not available. Several hours on the phone with OR had them inform me that they didn't have enough termination points for my property to be included.

I am in a semi-detached property with the adjoining property being comprised of flats.

Openreach are currently running the FTTP fibre, which my address is not eligible for across my first floor exterior wall to reach the flats next door.

The engineers have helpfully informed me they are rinning a 32 strand cable (so 32 possible termination points) for..... 4 flats.

Openreach still won't flip my property to available so I cannot order a resi product from BT.

I fear my only option is to complain to have the fibre cable removed?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Being told I cannot order FTTP - openreach running FTTP cable across the frontage of my premises

@MrCarrot 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Are you a BT broadband customer at the moment, if not, who provides your broadband connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Being told I cannot order FTTP - openreach running FTTP cable across the frontage of my premises

I would like to be a BT FTTP customer, hence using this forum.

I cannot order ANY FTTP product because my property is not listed as available on the btwholesale portal.

I currently run my internet access off a 4g hotspot, and have not had a ISP for 5+ years due to the copper line maxing out at 512kpbs.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@MrCarrot 

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

house.jpgf3.jpg

Have included the flat next door to show the difference in wholesale permissions, having to use my curtilage as all other access to them is on commercial wall space.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Then I suspect that the freeholder of the flats has entered into an agreement with Openreach to provide fibre, but it does not have to be with BT Retail, as many other providers use Openreach.

If you own your property, then you must have agreed the Openreach can run the cable along your wall, it would usually be a wayleave agreement.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I have spoken to the freeholder and tenant at length, he has not entered into any agreement (I had attempted to get Colt to put a line in a while ago) - this was simply a request from the tenant in a flat, which triggered the ONT, I am not able to trigger this despite my many attempts over the years. In my opinion this is a database error that no one seems able to make right.

I am also a tenant but the landlord (offshore) who I have spoken to, has not given permission for the cable run, nor has the management agency.

Both are annoyed that Openreach have not contacted them to authorise an installation as it would increase rental valuation. Openreach refuse to reach out to the management agency and insist on a postal response.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I doubt that BT Retail could help with this as its an Openreach issue, and an ongoing dispute. The same is likely to occur with any other provider.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

A 32 Strand Cable. Never heard of one o them.

I seriously doubt Openreach would fit a 32 Fibre SASA in a Block of 4 Flats as the other 28 Ports will never get used. They wouldn’t waste the Head End Port.

For MDU’s consisting of 20 or less Premises Openreach will just use SASA’s on an existing Spiltter nearby. 

I’d imagine the Cable they’ve run inside the block of flats is a COF215 36F. 

Yes there will be 32 spare fibres in that particular cable but not necessarily enough spares on the Splitter it goes back to. 

Openreach always use a 36F as standard, no matter how few fibres they need. Unless of course they need more then they’ll use a 48, 72 or 96F.

Your property would be classed as an SDU so wouldn’t have been included on the MDU Build.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Perhaps you can give a better explanation of the way your  property (that cannot get FTTP)  and the other property you are part of a pair of semi detached with , are linked can , it unusual they are a MDU and your address is ‘**** House’ presumably this isn’t a regular residential area , and this isn’t a normal pair of semi detached houses.

How is your property currently served , by an overhead cable from a pole  , or underground, the MDU survey note states ‘  built to the curtilage ‘ , so that’s a recently provided underground ‘ toby box’ so presumably there has been built in a footpath or public area outside the MDU an access point for the MDU , but not for your half of this pair of semi’s , and from the toby box  further work is needed to  get to the MDU , another item that makes little sense is that you say from this Toby box it was necessary to use the wall of your property to get to the MDU ‘ due to commercial wall space ??

As stated , ultimately there is nothing BT or any ISP can do if the wholesale checker states you don’t have FTTP available, you can fill out an Openreach formwize that basically states my neighbour can get FTTP but I can’t , fill that in , that should get OR to take a look , but if they already have and said ‘No’ , that’s really the end of it , and as stated, it’s not really something ‘BT’ can influence.

0 Ratings