cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soapy
Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Best fiver ever spent concerning BT Infinity FTTC

77.44 i think is the absolute max ip profile, mine was at that but when i swapped out the modem for an unlocked one it dropped very slightly to 77.42. your only 10kbps below the max which is nothing

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 12 of 22

They are good quality cables and I'm glad I have got one, however due to my experimenting with ways to reduce line noise which involved changing cables and modem position I have unplugged and rebooted the modem a few times and DLM decided enough was enough and hammered me down, initially to 35mb but the day it hammered me down it added 9mb back during the night.

Max attainable still remains the highest I have ever had it though so hopefully DLM will keep boosting me back up until I get to the 56mb sync speed I had the day I installed my cable.
0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 13 of 22

@soapy wrote:

77.44 i think is the absolute max ip profile, mine was at that but when i swapped out the modem for an unlocked one it dropped very slightly to 77.42. your only 10kbps below the max which is nothing

Thanks Soapy.  Literally seconds after posting, I went into another thread and saw a member had posted an image of their speed test showing an IP of 77.44 but I couldn't be asked to edit mine for 10kbps!

As I mentioned, since I had Infinity 2 activated on the launch date back in April '12, 77.43 was the highest IP I ever had and since then, any changes to it have usually varied between 65-70.  However, over the past few months, the IP has been creeping up again to around the 77 mark hence I don't want to put this new increase down to the RJ11 but either way, it really does feel like a well made cable and far better than my eBay purchase.

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Highlighted
martpu
Expert
Message 14 of 22

@Stuey3d wrote:
They are good quality cables and I'm glad I have got one, however due to my experimenting with ways to reduce line noise which involved changing cables and modem position I have unplugged and rebooted the modem a few times and DLM decided enough was enough and hammered me down, initially to 35mb but the day it hammered me down it added 9mb back during the night.

Max attainable still remains the highest I have ever had it though so hopefully DLM will keep boosting me back up until I get to the 56mb sync speed I had the day I installed my cable.

Agreed Stuey and again thanks for sharing your purchase!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 15 of 22

@martpu wrote:

Well my 0.5m RJ11 arrived today. Replaced the cheap 1m eBay cable I had hooked up and, though I'm unable to go confirm the full sync stats as I haven't unlocked my OR modem, after running the BT Speedtest my IP Profile has increased ever so slightly from around 77.30mb to 77.43mb.

Nothing to shout about obviously but I believe 77.43mb remains to be the max IP Profile on 80/20 (happy to be told otherwise) and this is the first time my IP has been 77.43mb since my Infinity 2 was activated on the actual launch date back in April last year.

The download test result came out at 75.13mb which is also the highest I have seen in a very long time so maybe the proof is in the pudding!

It's a shame your not unlocked as although you have reached your max at least on the infinity 2 package your sync on your modem could have gone up a lot higher.

0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 16 of 22

@Enigma123 wrote:

@martpu wrote:

Well my 0.5m RJ11 arrived today. Replaced the cheap 1m eBay cable I had hooked up and, though I'm unable to go confirm the full sync stats as I haven't unlocked my OR modem, after running the BT Speedtest my IP Profile has increased ever so slightly from around 77.30mb to 77.43mb.

Nothing to shout about obviously but I believe 77.43mb remains to be the max IP Profile on 80/20 (happy to be told otherwise) and this is the first time my IP has been 77.43mb since my Infinity 2 was activated on the actual launch date back in April last year.

The download test result came out at 75.13mb which is also the highest I have seen in a very long time so maybe the proof is in the pudding!

It's a shame your not unlocked as although you have reached your max at least on the infinity 2 package your sync on your modem could have gone up a lot higher.

I wish it was as I've always been intrigued to see the results. In fact I've considered giving it a go for as long as I've had Infinity but I've never been confident enough to do so in case I make a hash of it!

In fairness though, I've never had any issues with Infinity 1 / 2 so I shall leave things as they are!

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 17 of 22

@martpu wrote:

This all sound good news. Keep us updated on how you progress.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 18 of 22

Well my experience of this cable has been positive and well worth the money.

I had a run in with DLM the other day but I have all my speed back and what appears to be a more stable connection as well, now I shall explain.

When I first got infinity I used to have between 42 - 49mb download even though I was estimated 52.6.

In march DLM hammered me down to 32mb for some reason (I put It down to recent infinity connections in my area as a load of new homehubs had popped up on my wifi scanner) BT agreed something was up as I wasn't getting near my estimate so sent an OR engineer out who did nothing but make one phone call to get DLM reset and BAM!! Back up to 49mb with no problems.

I then hacked my OR modem and flashed the latest firmware onto it and my download finally got to the 52.6 down I was estimated.

I kept monitoring stats from this point and my max attainable was always around 59000 - 61000kbps with a SNR of 5.6 - 6.2db and sync was always between 51000 - 52800kbps so alls well.

I then installed some devolo 500mbps homeplugs to replace my ageing netgear 85mbps ones. These however injected a load of noise onto the line and caused my sync to drop to 49000kbps again.

I since installed a mains filter and ferrite beads which boosted my sync back to 52000 again but every time the homeplugs transferred my max attainable and SNR would plummet.

I since then installed the wonderful adsl nation shielded modem cable and that boosted my max attainable to between 63800 - 65000kbps with SNR around 6 and sync at 56500kbps and here's where I had my run in with DLM.

Due to all the fiddling and unplugging and rebooting the modem DLM knocked my sync rate down to 34999kbps on Thursday with a max attainable of 65000kbos but now at 14.9db SNR

On Friday morning DLM gave me 9mb back and my sync jumped to 43999kbps with a max attainable of 65000kbps with SNR of 9.9db

And now this morning DLM boosted my sync speed back up to 53999kbps with max attainable of 65000kbps with SNR of 6.9db.

DLM appears to have done me a favour as I now have an extra db of SNR to play with at the sacrifice of a tiny bit of speed, in theory my line should be very stable now even with homeplugs in full transfer mode and with the new cable I still have 1.5 - 2mb extra speed. So I am very happy with my purchase.
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 19 of 22

Stuey3d  - this sound great. Where did you get your ferrite beads from?

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 20 of 22

Maplin £3 a pop I have 2, did have one on power cable and one on modem wire but since upgrading to the shielded wire the modem wire one was no longer needed so I stuck both on the power cable one at each end.