Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Beware of switch from Infinity 1 to 'new' 52Mb Infinity 1

Go to solution

Hi

With the latest round of offers from BT, I just thought I'd mention my recent experience switching from Infinity 2 to the new 52Mb Infinity 1.

For the last couple of years I'd always synced at around 48Mb, so I calculated it was probably worth paying for Infinity 2, as I could only get 38Mb on Infinity 1. But when I saw the July 2016 price rises, and the fact that Infinity 1 was now up to 52Mb, I thought I'd save some money and should still get the same speeds.

I discussed this with the CS rep and got them to agree a deal less than the £26pm advertised. They assured me it was only a 'software change' and my speeds would be unaffected. But ... when the switch took place my speeds dropped and G.INP was switched off. As a result, a month on, I found myself stuck on 40698/9999 with G.INP still off. Tried a manual restart and got 39493/9490. I'm pretty sure all this has happened because the switch to Infinity 1 caused a DLM reset, and we all know how frustrating DLM can be.

Of course, there may be some degree of extra crosstalk as my cab will have taken on more connections in the last year but, after a power cut a few weeks ago, I came back on 47620, so I don't think cross talk is part of this.

So, anybody thinking of taking advantage of the latest prices to switch from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1, don't expect to keep your old speeds. All in all, wish I'd kept paying a bit more and kept my connection speeds the same.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Beware of switch from Infinity 2 to 'new' 52Mb Infinity 1

Go to solution

Apologies for any confusion ... subject line should of course have said switch from Infinity 2 to 'new' Infinity 1 Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
pob42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Exactly the same has happened to me. 

I was syncing at around 46Mb so downgraded to infinity 1 to save a bit each month. 

When the switch happened my sync dropped to 41Mb (now on 39Mb). 

I trued a different modem yesterday which allows detailed stats and I now see that G.INP has been disabled. It was definitely enabled before the switch. 

I'm not sure how to get this fixed...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

DLM will fix it, give it chance.

0 Ratings
pob42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

How long should it take?  My switch happened on May 24th

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Shouldn't be long now, I was just over a month before G.Inp kicked back in.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Re: Beware of switch from Infinity 1 to 'new' 52Mb Infinity 1

Go to solution
There is no definite answer to the question
It takes a minimum of 8 days per stage in each stage dlm changes interleaving ginp and capping it may change one thing and leave the other unchanged
If you have an huawei modem hacked you can install modem stats. You need 8 green status to move tier.
I have periodic drops in speed due to bad weather after three weeks am now ginp enabled but still capped
It may take other 8 days to lower or remove interleaving and another 8 days to remove the banding
You just have to wait and leave the modem be
0 Ratings
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Re: Beware of switch from Infinity 1 to 'new' 52Mb Infinity 1

Go to solution

Well, its now six weeks since my switch from Infinity 2 to new Infinity 1 and I'm currently on 39Mb.

I contacted support and a lady in India checked my line - no fault - and asked me to restart the modem, which resulted in a further reduction to the current 39Mb.

She said I had 'good speeds', and obviously pointed out that I'm getting more than the estimated minimum of 35Mb,  but could offer no explanation why I should not be at my previous speeds and didn't seem to know or understand G.INP or its affects. She said she would call back after a week to see if the speed had improved. 

So I'm waiting for a call next Saturday. We'll see.  Not hopeful.

0 Ratings
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Just to complete the saga ...

I did get the promised call back from BT Complaints - from the same representative, good from a continuity point of view - and after some discussion I persuaded her that, although I was indeed getting more than the estimated minimum, I had not kept my Infinity 2 speeds as promised when I called to switch. She agreed to put a call in for an Openreach engineer to visit today (Wed 6 July).

The engineer arrived on time this morning. His explanation was that, when switching to a slower speed package, the maximum to expect will always be lower than that on a higher speed package. Not a percentage or proportion per se, but something like that. Anyway, he did a thorough line check, remade the external connection which was one of the old 'choc block' type and showed me the reading on the cable direct from the cab. Result is that I'm now on a marginally higher speed, but still not up to my previous Infinity 2 speeds. One thing I have noticed though, is that my ES/Hour count is now firmly at zero, which it never was before. So, I'm happy to continue monitoring and see what happens.

It's worth noting that, contrary to some reports of BT customer service, I'm very impressed. I got the same contact in BT - and she's going to ring again in a few days to see how I got on. I got emails and text messages to keep me informed of what was going on, a 'genuine' OR guy visited, and I've had the connection properly checked. The only downside is that I was was mis-informed by the BT sales guys when I rang to ask for the switch to Infinity 1 in the first place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@ianm1309 wrote:

Just to complete the saga ...

The engineer arrived on time this morning. His explanation was that, when switching to a slower speed package, the maximum to expect will always be lower than that on a higher speed package. Not a percentage or proportion per se, but something like that.

He was talking complete tosh. Your line will sync at the maximum speed it is capable of up to whatever cap is in place. I.e if the maximum your line will sync at is 50M, it will do so regardless of whether you are on the 55M or 80M product.