cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D00B
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Booster on roadside pole

Hi all, I appologise if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have struggled to find a place with this "issue"

I recently had some line issues which after many engineer call outs (each time, they went up the pole outside my house and changed me on to another spare pair). Today, another engineer and apparently I'm connected to the last free line in the cluster. Lets see how that goes....

Anyway, the engineer explained to me what he had done, he also said that he was informing Openreach that a pole no so far away was to have a booster added to it, this could take up to a month to do, but eventually, I should see engineers working on the pole.

I have FTTC, but due to distance from the Green box, I am only able to get "faster Broadband" which currently gives me 

VDSL Informationfirmware version: 1412f0Modem Settings:CPE in Route Mode
  ProfileStateUP SpeedDown SpeedSNR UpstreamSNR Downstream
  17aShowtime1101 (Kbps)10028 (Kbps)62 (0.1dB)65 (0.1dB)
Server InformationBroadcom v10.09.12

apparently, not bad. The engineer said that there is a possibility that the booster would up my speeds to over 15Mbps.

My question to you is...

Is the engineer correct about the speed increase and

what is the booster? I assume its not G-Fast, not yet anyway.

Any help on this would be great.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Booster on roadside pole

Never heard of it
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Nor me, that's what worries me
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 22

smells like ******** to me

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

A lot like it!!!
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

There was talk about a possible Booster type of Technology a few years back at Openreach for long lines but with the introduction of G.Fast and trials of Longreach VDSL it was scrapped and never got off the drawing board.
0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Not really sure where to get a definitive answer on it. Are there any Openreach engineers amongst us?
Perhaps it's another lie I've been told by many a BT engineer over the years
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

Is this not perhaps an Openreach engineer's way describing FTTRN (Fibre To The Remote Node)?
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 22

I don't know the Engineer in question so your guess is as good as mine...
0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Perhaps it could be FTTRN, but his words were Booster on a roadside pole. I should have asked for more information at the time. The only way to tell now will be to wait and see. Such a shame I can't ask Openreach directly what plans they have.
0 Ratings