Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Brand new Infinity connection - slow evening speeds

Good evening,

Since been connected to the Infinity service on Friday, we have been seeing download speeds of around a very respectable 49MB from midnight to around 7-8pm, after which the download speed dips dramatically to <10MB between 8-10pm, then slowly climbs back to 50MB by midnight.

Here's my connection speeds from a few minutes ago: 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/d/da4e716e-13a6-4f71-afbc-270a3a25a698

After trawling the forum, this seems to be a common problem faced by BT forum members with the root cause commonly being exchange congestion. 

Is there anything you can do to help me out? I've had so much trouble with slow speeds in the past with our previous Satellite Broadband ISP (we had to use sat broadband as the we were only getting 0.5MB connection through our landline prior to Friday). I really dont want to go through all this with BT.

One member on a post mentioned connection speed problems can often be resolved by BT Wholesale switching VPs? I have no idea what that means!!! I literally just copy and pasted!

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Richard

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Brand new Infinity connection - slow evening speeds

Can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. Must be done with Ethernet connection http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

which exchange and cabinet are you on?

can you post darts from hub. If hh6. Then advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Hi

Thanks for the reply. This is the diagnostic test I just did.

TEST1.png

Should I continue with the further tests? It says I must temporarily change my broadband login username within my modem/router connection settings.

Thanks

Richard

0 Ratings
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

I'm on the LLANFAETHLU, Isle of Anglesey exchange (Code: WNLFU). At least that's what is says on samknows.com.Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

if you enter your phone number and post result after deleting just phone number  this wll confirm exchange and also give cab number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in all the replies. I can only perform the tests when I'm home, which is usually around this time every night. Here's the info you asked for:

PNG Test 130318.png

And here's the speed / diagnostic text I just did:

TEST2.png

Note it's significantly better than the 8MB download from last night, but it's early in the evening. By 8-9pm the speed drops drastically to <10MB. I'll send another test if it's around that speed again. 

Also I performed a speed test around 7:30am this morning and the download result was 8MB - but I was on the way out to work so I didnt have time to post the result. It seems the speed drops in the early morning as well?

Any advice or help you could give?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Are btspeedtester tests done with wired connection?

if you run test again later and get lower results then post and we can get mods to check your connection for possible congestion 

0 Ratings
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Yes, they're all done wired via ethernet and all other connected wifi / wired devices disconnected.

I've just performed another test, but it won't let me do a diagnostic test. Here's the result followed by the error message after I've put my phone number in:

TEST3.pngERROR.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Asked mods to check your exchange cab for congestion

0 Ratings
Ysgoldy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Many thanks. Should I expect them to contact me with an update? directly or on this thread?
0 Ratings