cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbeggs
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband Activation - What is going on?!

Hi,

I recently switched to BT Fibre and TV, upgrading from my old sky ADSL broadband to FTTC. The original switch date was 5th July all the equipment arrived on time and I set it up in preparation for the activation. This activation date was then missed with BT customer services say there had been a delay and a new actiation date was given to me. This new date and then a further date have also been missed since then and today I checked my account to see that the activation date was moved to 1st August! That's nearly 4 weeks from the original date!! What on earth is going on? How can this be considered acceptable?!

I have spoken to customer services on two previous occassions however they simply say 'sorry' and reschedule the activation so dont feel there is any point in wasting time with them. I've raised a complaint however I have not heard anything back from that team, depsite being told they would get back to me on two occasions. 

Both my partner and I rely on our home internet connection for working from home and have been just about managing on tethered connections for the last two weeks but there is no way we can manage data allowance for another 2 weeks.

Does anybody know if there is anyway I can force/encourgae BT to get their act together and actually care? I feel very tempted to cancel and go with another service provider but not sure I can without financial loss. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Cam

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband Activation - What is going on?!

Anecdotally the only problems I've seen on here is migration form Sky to BT. I can honestly say I have not seen any other problem from any other ISP. It makes you wonder if it is Sky's process for this that is the problem. There are other factors in the mix also.

Who knows? You still have a problem and it should be resolved or at least go back to the status quo.

Has your phone line been transferred to BT yet? If so can you enter your phone number HERE and post a screenshot of the result, remove your phone number before posting.

If not Use the address checker via the same link and post the result.

0 Ratings
cbeggs
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

BT claim the phoneline has been transfered but its something to do with switching to fibre that is the issue. We dont use a landline phone so not entirely sure/cant verify.

My impression is that its an openreach engineer operation that is holding up the process but BT dont seem to be able to/want to do anything to speed up the process.

It's really frustrating and if had any idea it was going to be with painful then I wouldnt have bothered moving!

Broadband status.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for posting that result. It shows ports in the cab still available. That has not always been the case where cabs have a waiting list.

I think due to the problems you've had it may be adviseable to have a mod oversee this and check everything is in place for Aug 1st, I doubt they'll be able to bring it sooner but at least make sure it happens.

One should be along soon.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi @cbeggs Sorry that your broadband service was not activated on the agreed date.

It sounds like your case is with the connections team and if it is possible to bring the appointment forward they will be best placed to do this.  So we can be sure you are with the correct team send us your details and we will check what is happening with your order. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Although it seems you don't use the phone line for a phone service ,  it could be useful to establish if you have a phone service or not, and if you do , who is supplying it.

If you borrow a phone from a friend/neighbour/relative , (or buy a cheap corded phone  from around £6 to keep in a draw for emergencys) ,  plug it into the master phone socket and check, do you have a dialtone ?,  if you do, dial 17070, if you are still connected to Sky, then you would get an announcement along the lines of 'Hi, I'm Zoe , what do you want', if now connected to BT , the announcement would be something like 'this circuit is defined as 01***,******,OR line test services, dial ', if still with Sky, perhaps the migration order keeps being cancelled , possibly by Sky, and new orders have to be re-issued, if line with BT, then presumably there was a capacity problem at the fibre cabinet , which hopefully is now resolved and you will be connected  in the fibre cabinet on 1st Aug, or earlier if you case is expedited

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@iniltous wrote:

Although it seems you don't use the phone line for a phone service ,  it could be useful to establish if you have a phone service or not, and if you do , who is supplying it.

If you borrow a phone from a friend/neighbour/relative , (or buy a cheap corded phone  from around £6 to keep in a draw for emergencys) ,  plug it into the master phone socket and check, do you have a dialtone ?,  if you do, dial 17070, if you are still connected to Sky, then you would get an announcement along the lines of 'Hi, I'm Zoe , what do you want', if now connected to BT , the announcement would be something like 'this circuit is defined as 01***,******,OR line test services, dial ', if still with Sky, perhaps the migration order keeps being cancelled , possibly by Sky, and new orders have to be re-issued, if line with BT, then presumably there was a capacity problem at the fibre cabinet , which hopefully is now resolved and you will be connected  in the fibre cabinet on 1st Aug, or earlier if you case is expedited

The ADSL shows no capacity issue and would not have worked with a Sky number.

0 Ratings