cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greyscout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Broadband Availability fiasco

Hope someone can put a smile back on my face. We are currently on copper cable broadband - which is so painfully slow its a joke.
Openreach have been installing fibre in our area, but when I check availability it says we can’t get it. What is more frustrating is on the openreach check there is a pdf you can download to see when you can expect it ..... that tells me it is available now. So when I spotted the openreach engineer in our road a few weeks back I asked him what the hell was going on. He pulled a cover up in the pavement right outside our house and showed me the fibre is there and just needs connecting to the house. When I asked how come the website wont let me place an order he said the company was a mess and wasn’t surprised.

Anyone got any suggestions on how i get BT or Openreach to sort themselves out so I can join the 20th century and have proper broadband ?
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Broadband Availability fiasco

Your connection is in the 20th century, the rest of the world is in the 21st century.

It may be that the Openreach data base has not updated yet.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. Post the results after you have removed your telephone number.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Greyscout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

image1.jpeg

This saga has been ongoing for nearly three years - our broadband is virtually useless. Trying to get a straight answer out of BT or Openreach is impossible. The openreach engineers know more about whats going on than the poor sods answering the phones, but that doesn't help me place an order !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

cab 1 on Mereside exchange has had fibre since 2015  looks like either database error or more likely you are to far from cabinet to get fibre

Cabinet P1   FTTC Available from 18th March 2015   Phase BDUK Cambridgeshire 13a    193   Huawei   PE26 2SQ

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
ojobson
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Hi Greyscout.

I had a similar issue - the fibre was in the street but I couldn't order. I had to chase OpenReach for a few months but they eventually looked in to it and updated the database so I could order. No info on what the cause was - but after 5 1/2 months and another month of BT buggering up my order (twice) I now have fibre.

I blogged about my experience and how I got through to OpenReach here and I've linked to the correct OR form to use. Hopefully it helps you get it sorted.

Message 6 of 25

Imjolly

Our property is not connected to the nearest pcp or green cabinet and BT / Openreach refuse to move our line to a closer one.

However like the post below, I know there is FTTP in a manifold right outside my house - the openreach engineer showed me it - but openreach keep telling me there isno fibre in my area.

When I told them I would lift the cover and send them a photo of their fibre connection in my raod they told me if I interefered with their property i could be prosecuted ....... they failed to see the irony of that !
0 Ratings
ojobson
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Did you speak to Openreach or BT?

Include the information from the engineer in the report that you send to Openreach via the form I linked to.
I wonder if it may be that there are no ports free on the node nearest you. When I had my fibre installed the engineer was astounded that there was only an 8 port node in the nearby manhole, with 6 ports free - which means that only 8 houses can be served ftth from that manhole - but it is the only one in the vicinity of about 50 houses...!
It could also be that the fibre you saw links a cabinet to the exchange for VDSL services - and isn’t there for the purposes of providing an FTTP network.
Greyscout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Hi Oliver

It was definitely an openreach engineer i spoke to.

I have used the forms you suggested - thankyou - and had an acknowledgement - now we just wait ....

In the meantime, i also discovered that if i go on the openreach availability website and use my neighbours details (either side of me) - they can order fibre to the property - so something definitely fishy going on !!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Post the dslchecker results using one of your neighbours phone number for comparison to yours. Remember delete number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ojobson
Contributor
Message 10 of 25

Ah - great, glad to help. Fingers crossed they will resolve it eventually!