cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Current Service

Reviewing my contract (expires this month), the relevant page tells me my current package is "Fibre with Halo 1". Really? I don't remember signing up for any Halo and my service is actually Fibre to the Cabinet. The connection to the cabinet, approx 200m away from home, is via good old twisted copper pair.

The current package details include speeds of 66MB/s to 73MB/s download and 16MB/s to 18MB/s upload. I have just checked and get 24MB/s download and 16.73MB/s upload. So, upload speeds are just within spec and download speeds are more or less in line with what I would expect with the copper from home to the cabinet. How does this square with the allegation that I have fibre & Halo at potentially 3 times the speed I am currently seeing (download)?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Current Service

Halo is just marketing tosh and doesn't have anything to do with speed or technology.

24Mbps at 200M from the cabinet is abysmal, 66 to 73 is much more in line with what you should be getting.

Please post your hub stats and a screenshot from the checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 13

With a speed test result of 24 are you running it via wireless by any chance as well?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the reply. I have struggled with getting a "decent sized" screenshot but I have posted an image of the first page on my own web site:

http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin///details.php?image_id=39532

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

The only wireless part is my wifi connection.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Exactly. Speed tests need to be carried out with your device connected to the hub via Ethernet rather than WiFi as WiFi speed can never be guaranteed.

Can you post your line stats from your hub. Go to 192.168.1.254 advanced settings technical log

You were getting 80M download in August from the screenshot you posted.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the reply.

August? That was a couple of months ago!

Seriously though, I see this on my hub advanced setting page:

Actual data transfer speed:

130 Mbps

This morning, speeds are (over wifi); 21Mb/16Mb. For a test directly to the LAN, I will need to dig out either a long cable or my old laptop as the router and my PC are on different floors.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

No idea what that figure is and where you are getting it from.

Just post the stats from the hub as requested, it is the sync speed that we need to see.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

"Just post the stats from the hub as requested, it is the sync speed that we need to see."

Don't you think that is a rather curt response?

I did as you instructed in your previous post; looked at the Home Hub Manager and chose "settings".

This has 6 sub menus; Wireless/Broadband/Home Network/Port Forwarding/System/Basic Settings

Notice there is no option for Technical Log. Choosing "Wireless", I see the info I posted earlier. I can not see Sync Speed anywhere. Perhaps I am too stupid to find it and would appreciate your help to discover this info.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

As posted in message 6, the path to the required line stats is 192.168.1.254 then advanced settings then technical log

If you post a screenshot of that page we can see what is going on with your line.

0 Ratings