cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Broadband Download speed has dropped after 15 months

As you can see from the attached chart from my SamKnows Analytics the Download on my line has droped by 10% since around the 6th December.  The line previously ran at 68 - 70Mbps Download solid for 15 months.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

TIA

John

My BT Superfast btchartdload.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband Download speed has dropped after 15 months

Can you post stats from your router

are you using test socket with filter even if you gave a filtered master socket

check fir noise  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Here is the connection as my router sees it:

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 20.56.34.png

I am using the test socket witha filter  - this has been the case for the whole period I have had the line.

I don not use the the landline and do not have a DECT or wired handset so I cannot dial 17070 - like most folk these days I use my mobile and avoid nuisance calls despite my number being registered with TPS 🙂

john

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The first and most basic test is to check for line noise as that is the most common cause of problems. It also helps to show if problem on your side of test socket or outside your home and openreach problem and avoid the £85 call out fee. The investment of about £5 in a cheap corded phone is a good investment

i have a corded phone and it is only used when I check my line for noise apart from that it is not connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

You have a 70/20mb connection which is well within your estimated range

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post result must be done with wired connection 

can you run this when download appears ok and when poor which is probably peak time

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

OK. I will do this tomorrow as I have my router in the loft and will need to run a long Cat5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

So you don't really know what your connection speed is as you are using wireless.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Rubbish! The Samknows Whitebox that monitors the line sits on a Gb port on the router and it is the analytics dashboard of this which the stats are from. BT Openreach is a participant in the SamKnows project. Would you like a CSV file of the line stats for the past month/quarter/year. BT Broadband have now tested my line and raised a ticket with Openreach to investigate.
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

The weather has also been very wet and damp up here for the past week or so and, of course, VDSL is a "copper to the premises" product misrepresented as Superfast Fibre broadband. We are on overhead pole delivery here all the way from the FTTC cab. Comically, my next door neighbour's line comes in via u/ground ducts and he can only get a 40Mbps service as his copper run back to Cab4 on the Newburgh exchange which both our lines are on must be longer than my overhead route.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Just for the avoidance of doubt a graph from my SamKnows Dashboard for the past year showing the  Download speed for the past 6 months.  For further information on the equipment used to mionitor my line see: https://samknows.com/products/agents/samknows-whitebox

Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 10.49.00.png

As you can see the line stats go off a cliff edge and drop by 10% as of the 7th December. 

I know that I am still within my line profile and that the handback is 53Mbps but I am just interested to understand why my line should drop 10% all of a sudden after this length of time. 

0 Ratings