cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Broadband Drop Outs

Hello Everyone, this is my story that needs a happy ending..

In September I started to experience drop outs whilst watching the football or F1. Every time I want to watch it I get 10mins and then pop, no internet for 20mins or so. The little blue light is on but nobody is home! So, I called BT who in turn reset this reset that and said "rest assured its all sorted, we can close the complaint"

Not sorted, so here we are end of November and I have had numerous calls to India, Warrington, Cardiff, Newcaste and Ireland all promising to fix the problem, numerous call backs from customer service not happening despite promises again, 2 BT engineers to say yes your home connection is fine, 4 new routers, 8 OpenReach visits in which 2 of them said the sync is fine but the data transfer isnt and they went and did a 'lift and shift' and its still not sorted.

Opla testing shows slow speeds, big latency (3secs) and big jitters (1sec) with packet loss around 9-12%. Yes seconds not ms.

FAST testing shows expected speeds (13Mbps) and 26ms unloaded latency and 3sec loaded with the occasional "Could not reach our servers to perform the test. You may not be connected to the internet!"

I have lodged multiple complaints but nodody replies and nobody appears interested because the BT test says everything is OK, its not!

So, how do I get this internet connection stable enough to not trip out my NowTV or BT TV streaming service???

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Broadband Drop Outs

OpenReach attempt No 9 booked for tomorrow!

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 22

Hi @jk494,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your broadband connection.

Can you let us know how it goes with the engineer tomorrow and if the issue is still not fixed we can take a look into this for you?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Had a phone call from complaints (1st time BT actually called me back!) and turns out no engineer has been booked. There is a telephone engineer being sent tomorrow instead to look at the exchange, but my telephone is fine!

I'd give up if I could and switch supplier but there is only BT equipment being rented out by other providers.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

can you post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

can you enter phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Thanks for the help

Hub Stats.pngdslchecker.png

0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

OpenReach engineer has been out. Guess what, he cannot find any line faults!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

How is your BT YouView box connected to the BT home hub, as this seems more like a networking issue?

0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

? BT Youview box, is connected via powerline ethernet device. This pops up on the screen 'broadband connection lost', 'Broadband reconnected' but its not limited to just the YouView box its all devices that suffer when the line speed drops to 0.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Do you actually see the connection speed on the home hub drop to zero?

It could be caused by bursts of line errors, which will cause the throughput to drop to zero. Only the forum moderators can look  at the error counters at the BT end.

You are quite a distance from the cabinet, so its possible that the line is noisy.

It could of course be a faulty home hub.

0 Ratings