Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Broadband Drop Outs

connection time in stats is only 6hrs was that manual reset trying to improve connection or was it hub dropping internet connection?

are you using the test socket inside the master socket with a filter to see if that helps stability.  

your connection speed is well within your expected speed range

@Keith_Beddoe  unlikely a faulty hub as has had 4 replacement hubs according to initial post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

yes, I have had a variety of hubs, all of which don't resolve the problem.

The line has been tested multiple times and the errors where in the 20s during the last 15min soak test done by OpenReach which followed a second 'a lift and shift', the same test before it showed 150+ and had Sync but loss of data indicated. But it didn't solve the problem.

The filter box has been changed and then changed to a different type, connecting to the test point makes no difference either.

That was a manual reset, the router doesn't lose connection its always blue. It always shows a connection of 16MB even when its not. ie you click the check broadband option and it times out, web page unavailable. Presumably because the line speed is 0?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

if connection speed dropped to 0 the hub would reset  

have you tried just with one device connected with ethernet not using powerline and see if that improves things   powerline often can cause problems - speaking from personal experience

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

but its not the one device that has the issues, its all of them. So the powerline is only talking to the BTVision box nothing else, even tried it on another ring to see if it makes any difference, re interference into the hub.

Infact I tried to post this but the connection went again!

So I quickly ran a trace on the ping and refreshed a FAST test, screen prints below.

ping route.pngfast.png

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 15 of 22

Hi jk494, sorry that the engineer has not been able to resolve the fault. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help you with this fault.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

the test was to exclude the powerline adapters from the connection altogether and only have 1 device connected to the hub by ethernet and see if that makes an improvement - ruling out problems cause by the adapters

0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

There is only a single pair of adaptors, when they are disconnected it makes no difference, the line speed goes to 0.

The problem is intermittent so it could happen now, 20mins time or in 3hrs time. There is no pattern.

The only pattern I can see is a huge swing in latency and a big difference between loaded and unloaded (1000x)

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Must likely to be something electrical causing interference, central heating boilers switching on and off can cause wideband interference.

If you have access to a portable medium wave radio, tune it into where there is no radio station, just background noise.

Then see if you notice a sudden increase in noise, possibly a very loud buzzing noise, when you get the broadband disconnections or slowdown.

0 Ratings
jk494
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

The randomness of the drop outs means that its not linked to the boiler, microwave, fridge, electric fence or anything else. I dont have any neighbours who run motors in a workshop or anything else like that. But, having tried to watch the TV this week I have ordered a power conditioner just for the router, just incase!
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 20 of 22

Hi @jk494,

Thanks for posting. Just to let you know we've received your message and will be in touch soon.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings