Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 1 of 63

Broadband (Infinity 1) keeps dropping

Go to solution

So we have been having problems with our broadband for the past 3 months, basically it keeps dropping connectivity, light on Smarthub turns orange before returning back to blue, this happens 10+ times a day and always when it is most inconvenient, i.e when on a Skype meeting with senior people at work.

I have lost count of how many faults I have raised with BT on this, to start with I would get a message saying fault on the line which is then updated to fixed, but no difference. Then I get sent a new filter, which although did improve the line quality for the phone made no changes to dropping connection. I then get told they found faults on my Smarthub so sent a new one...still no improvement.

Last week they sent out an engineer, he ran a load of tests and could find nothing wrong, they closed the fault, but it still keeps dropping. Now BT call me every day to ask how it's been, every day I report that we are still getting regular drops, and the latest update? They are sending me yet another new hub and if that doesn't work they will change the hub to a Home Hub 5.

Really am at the end of my tether on this, every hub change is a major pain updating all the network settings and wifi passwords on my devices, Sonos speakers, smart speakers, etc. but still no change.

Has anyone else experienced this and was this ever resolved? Whether coincidence or not the problem started on the day that 5 OpenReach vans were parked around the corner presumably working on the cabinet and/or cable runs to my street, but BT keep stressing that they cannot find any faults even though they can see my connection drops.

0 Ratings
62 REPLIES 62
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 63

Re: Broadband (Infinity 1) keeps dropping

Go to solution

Scan you post stats from your hub. Advanced settings then technical log information 

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability. Try this even if you currently have a filtered master socket

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

when you get new hub just change the SSID and password to be same as existing hub and then wireless devices will just connect  saves changing all your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 3 of 63

Go to solution
I am not using the master socket currently as it is in the most awkward place ever behind my front door, but I have connected the hub there for 24 hours to test and it made no difference, I still got regular drops. I have also done the quiet line test, which is fine.

Thanks for tip on SSID and password, I will do that when it arrives, but I know 100% that it will make no difference as the last 2 hubs didn't so why will a 3rd?

I have just checked today's logs and there are 11 VDSL disconnects on there already, but BT still insisting that nothing is wrong even though they can see the drops
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 63

Go to solution

As regards you using the master socket, when you did that did you use the test socket? If not you really need to do that so that it eliminates your internal wiring from being the problem.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it could mean you have star wiring and that is not good for VDSL Broadband and will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 63

Go to solution

Did you connect to the master socket or the test socket which is behind the front plate of master?  The best connection is the test socket with a filter

can you post hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 6 of 63

Go to solution
Yes I used the test socket, IT professional for over 30 years.

BT engineer has also tested all my internal wiring and said I don't have any issues there, but I always use the test socket whenever I get issue to rule everything else out.

Drop no.12 today just happened
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 7 of 63

Go to solution

BT1.pngBT7.pngBT6.pngBT5.pngBT4.pngBT3.pngBT2.png

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 8 of 63

Go to solution

This is brilliant from BT, not. So I am getting another new hub delivered today but I received another message this morning tell me that they have discovered an external network issue which will be fixed on 25th (Friday), brilliant.

1 hour later I get another message from the same person telling me that they have sent me another hub which will arrive on the 25th to fix my issue.

Really, you just cannot make this stuff up. That will now be 6 hubs since this issue started, at what point will they accept it is not a hub issue?

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 9 of 63

Go to solution

So new hub delivered yesterday and connected up. So far today I have had 9 disconnects already. However it is a slightly different log, previously it was;

dsl:VDSL Link Down

But on the new hub I get this;

DSL Link Down

Why the difference, i.e VDSL but now just DSL, what is the difference between the 2? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 63

Go to solution

A different author for the text string displayed by the software.

0 Ratings