Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 31 of 63

Re: Broadband (Infinity 1) keeps dropping

Go to solution
But isn’t it coincidental that I have been having this issue for over 3 months and at no time has the line speed reduced, but it did whilst I was on a call to support and plugged my hub into the test socket....but apparently there are no faults detected on my line?

I know DLM drops the speed down if it detects problems, but I keep getting told there are none and I cannot believe that DLM is the only way line speed can be adjusted
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 32 of 63

Go to solution

Wow, so after failing for the 5th time for a manager to call me at the pre-arranged time slot I was guaranteed that I would receive a call today at midday, this was confirmed by SMS, FaceBook messanger and when I rang the complaints line. Yet again I did not receive a call and have been told this will now be tomorrow between 4-6pm. How can they just keep pushing the call back each day despite knowing that I have to keep re-arranging my work diary and family life to ensure that I am available at the agreed times?

0 Ratings
Radiomic27
Message 33 of 63

Go to solution

I have read this thread from the beginning and your problems are identical to what we are currently experiencing. We have been on Infinity for a number of years and right from the start, first with a Hub3 then a Hub5 we have experienced random disconnections, usually lasting no more than a few minutes. Originally on Infinity+, we downgraded to Infinity to cut costs while we were away for a couple of months. Recently we were offered a free upgrade for 18 months, back to 68Mbs, with a new Smarthub 6 and a new Youview box.

Then the problems really started.

Like you, we are now experiencing multiple drop-outs every day, but also, probably twice a day, when trying to reconnect to wi-fi, one gets a request on the laptop to enter the access password. This we have learned, means that the only way to restore service is to power down and restart the router

With the regular drop-outs, once reconnected, we often experience a 'bounce', where the Smarthub will disconnect almost immediately and then reconnect and this can happen three or four times.

As an electronics engineer with RF experience I know that all the 'remedies' proposed by BT helpdesk are worthless, and I know that the problem is with the hub. Not necessarily that it is faulty (as you have found, simply swapping the hub makes no difference) but that it is too sensitive to random line noise as has been suggested by others.

Until and unless BT accept that it is the quality of the service and not overall speed that should be the priority for them to deliver, I think there is not much hope for any of us. Simply changing supplier is not an option for the vast majority because, as has been pointed out in previous posts, Openreach has the monopoly on the copper cables and infrstructure.

Unfortunately for us, BT sent us packaging and insisted we send the old kit back, so I don't have the option of going back to the Hub5 and am currently faced with broadband tht is not fit for purpose.

I am going to replace the Smarthub with a commercial grade Draytek Vigor wireless ADSL router which we use on some of our more complex radio comms systems and have found them to be pretty reliable. Not cheap at around £200 but it has the advantage of optional 3G/4G  via a USB dongle, so if we still experience the odd drop-out we could use a data-only sim for about £7/month to fill in the gaps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 63

Go to solution

@Radiomic27 wrote:

I am going to replace the Smarthub with a commercial grade Draytek Vigor wireless ADSL router which we use on some of our more complex radio comms systems and have found them to be pretty reliable. Not cheap at around £200 but it has the advantage of optional 3G/4G  via a USB dongle, so if we still experience the odd drop-out we could use a data-only sim for about £7/month to fill in the gaps.

You will need a VDSL one, not an ADSL one,

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 35 of 63

Go to solution

That makes a lot of sense. I managed to get a supervisor to call me later this afternoon, I'll insist on getting a Home Hub 5 sent out, as they had previously promised but failed to send, to see if that makes any difference. I do have another engineer visit on Thursday but I suspect that will be the same result, i.e. can't find any issues and closes the fault.

Currently the reduced network speed is just not acceptable though. streaming/downloading performance is diabolical and even my VPN connection into work is poor receiving emails on work phone almost an hour before they come through on Outlook when previously there were only a few seconds difference

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 63

Go to solution

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you are still going through all this grief and guess work about what may or may not be the cause of the problem and asking BT to send out a HH5 and another engineer visit when it was suggested in message 15 to try a different VDSL Modem/router. Once you do that you will know for sure if it is a BT router problem or a line problem and you can then decide how you tackle BT over getting the problem resolved.

If you do not want to use Amazon you will be able to get one at Argos if there is one locally. 

Burnside5
Contributor
Message 37 of 63

Go to solution

Maybe it's because I am old fashioned and believe that I should get the service that I pay for and not have to go out and buy different equipment at my own cost.

There seems to be a problem these days where too many people put up with poor quality goods and services or go out and buy additional kit in order to get the service that they are already paying for, letting the service provider off the hook and no incentive to fix their issues.

HH5 ordered and will be delivered on Tueday.

0 Ratings
Radiomic27
Message 38 of 63

Go to solution
Yes, thanks. The 2862 is both VDSL & ADSL; I was using the broad term for broadband!
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 39 of 63

Go to solution

And also to add to that, I looked up the reviews of recommeded router the TPLink W9970 and was put off by the poor security reported and confirmed by TPLink. Seems to get a decent router that will give the stability and security is a bit more of an outlay

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 63

Go to solution

@Burnside5 wrote:

Maybe it's because I am old fashioned and believe that I should get the service that I pay for and not have to go out and buy different equipment at my own cost.

There seems to be a problem these days where too many people put up with poor quality goods and services or go out and buy additional kit in order to get the service that they are already paying for, letting the service provider off the hook and no incentive to fix their issues.

HH5 ordered and will be delivered on Tueday.

I totally agree but there comes a time that banging your head on the wall needs to stop. You would not have needed to keep the router if you did not want it but if you did as I suggested you would know what the problem was and would be in a better postion to get BT to sort it out but it is of course your choice. 

0 Ratings