Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cjmole
Contributor
Message 1 of 56

Broadband Ininity - change in service?

We have had Infinity 2 for quite a few years now and never any problems after the initial teething/settling in period.  Over the last month however we have noticed a change - in the early evening every day from around 4pm every day we suddenly getting a sudden drop in speeds - the speedtest said "service very poor".  We reboot the router and it seems to come back fine - but makes me wonder if this is a throttling or something ?  I've rebooted our router every day for the last week because of this - and as we have online gamers in the house this situation isn't popular!  Has something changed?

I'm loathe to ring the helpline as my previous experience was frankly shocking and I've no wish to repeat the lengthy phone conversation from a script which fixes nothing...

0 Ratings
55 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 56

Re: Broadband Ininity - change in service?

it could be congestion where download speed drops at peak times and is ok off peak  you should run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  needs to be done with ethernet connection not wireless

do you know which exchange an cabinet you are on?  if not enter your phone number here http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

can you post stats from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cjmole
Contributor
Message 3 of 56

I see from the link we are on Highwoods Cabinet 11 - hope that means something.  I've tried the diagnostic thing - and trouble is when its fine, like it is at the moment, all looks good, however when we hit the problem hour the diagnostic tester just hangs and won't complete - until I reboot the router and then of course its fine.  I'm using my own router (and have done from the outset) as the Hub3 was shocking but it is of course connected to the white openreach box - though not sure how to post stats from it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 56

all the stats are in the white modem and unless unlocked there is no access to the stats.  rebooting the router is not helping your overall connection and can easily result in a drop in conenction speed

you really need to try btspeedtester diagnostic test when you think speed poor to illustrate your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cjmole
Contributor
Message 5 of 56

OK will try when the 4pm time window hits again!  I get that it might be congestion, but its never been an issue before, thus my question - unless perhaps we have new neighbours with heavy usage lol - who knows!  Oh for a detector van Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 56

@imjolly wrote:

rebooting the router is not helping your overall connection and can easily result in a drop in conenction speed

Rebooting the router when used in conjunction with a separate modem won't affect DLM.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 56

congestion is from the exchange back haul not a local problem
This issue is in BT Wholesales domain there is nothing either Openreach or BT Consumer your provider can do as they do not have the tools to see the fault Wholesale will be aware and working on a fix this may take some time to resolve all you can do is wait for now
0 Ratings
cjmole
Contributor
Message 8 of 56

Few months on and still having the same problems - our connection is the worst its ever been - constant spikes, internet speedtest a few mins ago is 2.62 mbps download, 0.31 upload - this is definitely not the service we pay for (infinity 2).

We bought a new router as our previous was quite old (we don't use the BT hubs are not had good expereinces with those either) - new router has made no difference.

I don't accept "congestion" - we've been on this same connection for years with no real issues, and nothing else has changed - so something is going on.  I flatly refuse to call the indian call centre to be read the script yet again - nothing at all has changed in our set up.  We are all gamers and this is driving us nuts - if I could go cable I would but our street isn't cabled so that's no an option.

"wholesale will be aware and working on a fix" you say john46 - how long do I have to reasonably wait for a fix?  3 months since my last post, and its been going on for 6 months.  Oh the irony - connection is so bad that I can't connect to the troubleshooter or speedtester.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 56

you need to post some of the information I asked for months ago

results from dslchecker

stats from your router unless you are using a separate modem

btspeedtester diagnostic results done with ethernet conenction when line appears ok (off peak) and again when speed bad probably peak time

we can then see how to progress as obviously nothing has changed in the last 3 months

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 56

Without seeing line stats it is impossible to diagnose whether the problem is sync speed or download speed.

0 Ratings