cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcfc4heatons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband ON/Off - Fault / NO Fault - Don't Know Whats Going ON ???

Go to solution

Broadbands been on and off for several weeks now. BT hub goes from blue light to flashing amber light, internet goes off for a few mnutes at least comes back on and then problems repeats with no pattern. Sometimes it can happen every few minutes, it can then be OK for an hour or two but then start again...

I contacted live support who presumable is a call centre somewhere reading a list of checks of a screen, they did all the usual tests and asked all the usual quesrtions and after  lengthy conversation they told be there was a fault which would be fixed in 48 hourse and I would get a txt message to my phone with case ref.

I received txt message but after 72 hourse the problem persisted, so I replied to text message asked what the status was. Support messaged me back saying there was no fault, which totally conrtradicts the orginal converation I had with live support. Instead they said they would send me a new Home Hub which I set up, unfortunately it went off again afer no time (flashing amber light again) and download speeds are just 6MBPS. We don't get th. fastest speeds because of distance from cabinet but usually its about 20-25 MBPS

What to do now as don't feel I'm getting anywhere?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband ON/Off - Fault / NO Fault - Don't Know Whats Going ON ???

Go to solution

have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that helps by eliminating your internal wiring  if you have extension sockets check that there is no dial tone

can you post stats from your router

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mcfc4heatons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
I dont what or where the test socket is.

The hub is connected to a socket fitted by openreach with two separate sockets for phone and hub.

Although we hardly ever use the phone when i tested, the line was very noisy (sounds like static, crackling).

Thanks
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If you have noise on your line it needs reporting as such without mention of broadband. Once the line problem is resolved your broadband should recover.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

this shows test socket by black arrow  test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mcfc4heatons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

thanks, I don;t think I want to be dismantling things now as openreach are due a visit and I've heard they can charge me if they think I've been tampering with anything ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mcfc4heatons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks seems to be the case, we rarely use the landline so hadn't noticed the bad line, we just use mobile phones and the broadband obviously ....

0 Ratings