cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 41

Broadband Performance / No recourse of action

All,

I am about to cancel BT broadband but posting here as a last resort. I've been using BT broadband for the last  10 years  or so with no problems - in the last few years 30mbs/5mbs but in the last few months this has changed to 30/1 which effectively stops me making video calls/uploading to the cloud and so on. Ive been through the rigmarole with BT (Engineer out to check local cabling/kit - no problems), contacted BT again and the answer is they dont gurantee upload speed. 1mbs is unusable as far as I am concerned. 

Any suggestions from the community before I bin BT out of principal.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

Re: Broadband Performance / No recourse of action

Unfortunately, no suggestions as it is probably crosstalk from another customer causing the problem. I'm afraid changing provider probably won't help as you will still be using the same pair of wires.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 41

The upload portion of the bandwidth is mainly located at the higher frequencies, which unfortunately are the first to be affected by crosstalk.  You may like to try disconnecting your line for a minute, and seeing if it will reconnect at a better speed.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

The only solution is to hope for an FTTP connection in the future.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 41

As I have no neighbours, does this mean something in the local infrastructure has been changed?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 41

The crosstalk can occur anywhere between you and the cabinet, it doesn't have to be somebody close by.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

So does seem like something changed in the infrastructure to drop from 5 to 1 in the last few weeks?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

You need to look at your upstream sync (connection) speed, as that would give you a better idea of what is going on, as a speed test can be misleading.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 41

Is that information available on the hub? (I would have thought the engineer that came out would have checked?)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 41

Also - thanks for engaging!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 41

@cjbev wrote:
Is that information available on the hub? (I would have thought the engineer that came out would have checked?)

Yes its available on the home hub, but its unlikely to have been looked at by the engineer.

Which home hub do you have?

0 Ratings