Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venomx
Expert
Message 1 of 12

Broadband Question

hi guys

moving home soon and want to know in most apartments is the phone socket in the living room ?

also, how reliable are homeplugs for streaming netflix, prime, iplayer etc ?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Where Are Most Phone-Sockets ?

Most but by no means all. The master socket is normally placed at the point of entry of the supply cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Re: Broadband Question

If ita a new build, then if you are lucky, there will be a phone socket in most rooms, however they are all daisy chained together, and connecting your router to them, will give poor results.

You need to connect your router to a filtered master socket, like the ones shown here.

Master socket with two sockets

These isolate any extra sockets to prevent the broadband signal getting to the rest of the sockets, and affecting your speed.

Homeplugs like these https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

Usually work quite well.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 4 of 12

Thanks keith, This is what I have at my current premisis and it works fine.. it doesn't look like any of the ones you posted though ?

Yes the 600 loks the best for my price range

44126698890_43e0813a09_z.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

That is fine, provided that is the only socket, and you have no extensions, otherwise your connection speed will suffer.

The hotspot 600s are fine, but do not clone the home hub settings, and if you buy the one with two hotspots, then rename one of them, as they both transmit the same SSID.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Ok thanks so i will look out for them master sockets then, if its an apartment are they likely to have them though ? My current place is newish and doesn't.

If i need to use a home plug  i'll use one end into my TV box, and the other into my router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Is it a new build apartment you are moving into, if so, its likely to be a new type master socket, like the second one shown here.

Master socket with one socket

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 8 of 12

it's a new build yes.
So basically any of them 7 you have posted ( earlier on in the thread and this post ) will be ok ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

You are more likely to see either something like you have already, or one of the new ones where the front bottom section just unclips.

Many new builds are now FTTP, so you may be lucky, the developer should know.

You need not worry about sockets then.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Thanks keith for the infomation, final question
The premesis itself isnt new looking but the apartments inside are.

Is there anything I need to look out for that could cause problems ? I.E a specific type of socket i should avoid ?
0 Ratings